Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2016, 09:59 AM

Re: Delayed Reactions

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
The thing is Meg that if you're in a stream of traffic it's sensible to be moving at the same speed as the majority of the others around you. On a 70 mph road that speed is usually 70 mph so if you come across someone doing 50 mph you have to overtake them which means pulling out into another lane.
I do know how to drive Alan I have driven the length and breadth of the country for 40 years and one of the things I have learnt in that time is there is no point in getting steamed up having to wait a few moments.

How many times do we see people rush past us at unsuitable places, they can't wait. We catch them up moments later so all their rushing was pointless.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2016, 10:28 AM

What on earth do you think you'll gain by getting to your destination a minute or so earlier, after even breaking the rules or risking a crash?
Shouldn't the over 50s have learned to take it easy by now?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2016, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I do know how to drive Alan I have driven the length and breadth of the country for 40 years and one of the things I have learnt in that time is there is no point in getting steamed up having to wait a few moments.

How many times do we see people rush past us at unsuitable places, they can't wait. We catch them up moments later so all their rushing was pointless.
Sorry Meg, I wasn't implying that you didn't know how to drive but was saying that you have to go at the same speed as those around you even if you would rather go slower. So it's not necessarily being impatient or in a hurry.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2016, 10:42 AM

Why do you have to go at the same speed of everyone around you, Alan?
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2016, 10:45 AM

I am in total awe of the incredibly important and time structured lives some must lead. Are you brain surgeons with only a matter of seconds to reach an operating theatre and save a life; are you bomb squad, journeying to save life and limb; covert firefighters on a mission; on Her Majesty's Secret Service?

I'm with Meg on this one. Relax, enjoy your drive. If you don't get the lights this time, you'll get them next, or maybe even next again. Do those seconds really matter? Will anyone die if you wait? No. Might someone die if you are too impatient? Yes, either another road user in an 'accident', or you of a heart attack or stroke. Anyway, it's so much nicer not to stress
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2016, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Sorry Meg, I wasn't implying that you didn't know how to drive but was saying that you have to go at the same speed as those around you even if you would rather go slower. So it's not necessarily being impatient or in a hurry.
I am aware of that Alan I am also aware that some drivers have slower reactions than others which can be due to age, disablement or even tiredness. Being impatient because you have to wait a moment doesn't change anything or help the situation.

If we look at Spittys post again...
When a Red Light turns Green, and say, you are the 6th vehicle in the stationary queue, just count how many seconds it takes, from the colour change to physically moving a wheel, the worst one is, when the 5 vehicles in front take so long to pull of, by the time you move, the lights have gone Red again.
At one set of traffic lights I use in town it is very narrow and if you are 6 or 7 cars behind the first one it is not always possible to see if the cars in front of you are going straight on waiting to turn across the oncoming traffic. You stop and start again as some turn and some don't, there is no flow of speed you just have to be patient.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2016, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I seem to have this problem when coming out from my big Sainsburys. I need to turn right into the main road at the lights and I count down seconds when waiting for the first car to move. And invariably nobody seems in much of a hurry to get round. I usually find myself shouting out (in the confines of my car, with closed windows!). Come on, mooooooove!!!!
I think most of us do that Jazzi!

I used to get myself in such a state it put me in bad mood for hours but now, if I feel the pressure rising (!) I think of a favourite song and "play" it in my head.

Before I know what's happening I singing away and getting some odd looks from others in cars nearby because I don't have any music on in the car.

I can't actually discern any tune at all now and I loved music but this gets me past it all now.

It's CSN&Y's "Love the one you're with" at the moment - reminds me of really happy, care-free times in my late teens. stevmk2
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2016, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy ->
I was wondering that - well on a motorway anyway!

You can tootle along at your chosen speed quite happily in the slow lane because there are two more lanes for other motorists to pass you...
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2016, 10:53 AM

Roll on driverless cars!
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2016, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy ->
It's safer that way I would have thought.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top