Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2016, 11:08 PM

Re: Man Mauled By Pack Of Dogs In His Own Home

Originally Posted by Mups ->
What a weird thing to say.

How on earth would you know what a complete stranger 'deserves'?
Or do you think because he kept 5 dogs he 'deserved' to get bitten?

I don't know how anyone can pass judgement on the man, or the dogs yet, because we know virtually nothing about what went on. We only know the end result.
Exactly. For all we know the dogs were abused or used as fighters. Or maybe the dogs were starved and they all decided 'dad' was the only available food. Whatever the case, something led up to this for all 5 dogs to attack at once.

Plus, nowhere does it say these dogs were even his. It could have been a wild pack and he left a door open.

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I reserve judgement .... but 5 dogs in one house?

I'm not doggy expert but is this breed rated a good fighting dog? It does make you wonder.
Any dog can be trained to fight.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2016, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I reserve judgement .... but 5 dogs in one house?

I'm not doggy expert but is this breed rated a good fighting dog? It does make you wonder.
The KC only recommend 2 breeds(out of about 160)that are good with families with kids, the English Mastiff and Staff.

These dogs are soft, only humans make them vicious.

I too question the need for so-called fighting dogs.

Drugs dealer or fight breeder.
I'll go out on a limb with this one.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2016, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
The KC only recommend 2 breeds(out of about 160)that are good with families with kids, the English Mastiff and Staff.

These dogs are soft, only humans make them vicious.

I too question the need for so-called fighting dogs.

Drugs dealer or fight breeder.
I'll go out on a limb with this one.
Thing is, though, we don't even know if the dogs were his. I'm assuming they are, but one never knows.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2016, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
Thing is, though, we don't even know if the dogs were his. I'm assuming they are, but one never knows.
That is true but.....I did say I was going out on a limb

I grew up with Mastiffs and Staffies and a softer breed you'll not meet, in the right hands and environment.
Linda0818
USA

07-03-2016, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
That is true but.....I did say I was going out on a limb

I grew up with Mastiffs and Staffies and a softer breed you'll not meet, in the right hands and environment.
I love Mastiffs. Great Danes are softies too. At least the ones I've had the pleasure of knowing. A dog doesn't know its size. I've known gentle-as-lambs big huge dogs and I've known little Poodles that would love nothing more than to eat your feet for dinner. My stepmother had a Poodle and that little tart was the biggest bitch of a dog I ever saw. No pun intended, but it fits.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2016, 11:49 PM

This is the KC Breed Standard for the Bull Mastiff:

Description
Illustration of Bullmastiff
A British breed evolved from the Old English Mastiff and the Bulldog. Primarily used as a guard dog and, in olden times, to help the gamekeeper in the apprehension of poachers.
Naturally intelligent and observant, he is easily trained but likes to have a reason for doing things. Highly spirited, he makes a happy companion who is totally reliable both physically and mentally. Devoted to the members of his human family, his bravery and courage in defending them against intruders are legendary. He can quickly assess a situation, and this, combined with his acute hearing, makes him an excellent house-dog. He is very strong, but amenable to kindly discipline.

I'd put money on it, that there is a lot more to this case.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2016, 11:53 PM

According to a report I read they were his girlfriends dogs. Cherchez la femme?
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

08-03-2016, 12:19 AM

This is the KC Breed Standard for the Bull Mastiff:

Description
Illustration of Bullmastiff
A British breed evolved from the Old English Mastiff and the Bulldog. Primarily used as a guard dog and, in olden times, to help the gamekeeper in the apprehension of poachers.
Naturally intelligent and observant, he is easily trained but likes to have a reason for doing things. Highly spirited, he makes a happy companion who is totally reliable both physically and mentally. Devoted to the members of his human family, his bravery and courage in defending them against intruders are legendary. He can quickly assess a situation, and this, combined with his acute hearing, makes him an excellent house-dog. He is very strong, but amenable to kindly discipline.

I'd put money on it, that there is a lot more to this case.
Thanks for this post, it's pretty much the same for the SBT.

I
Remember a few years ago my sister wanted a dog that was good with kids and as we'd grown up with the two breeds I mentioned she felt comfortable with opting for a Staff.

Her husband was dead against it(believed the bad press)so we asked our old vets advice, exactly the same two breeds were recommended.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2016, 03:26 AM

What a weird thing to say.

...I don't know how anyone can pass judgement on the man, or the dogs yet, because we know virtually nothing about what went on. We only know the end result.
My thoughts too,

ETA: The top comment from the article:

THE man savaged by the dogs in was looking after them for a friend whose flat was destroyed by a fire.
The dogs were all trapped in the flat and One dog died from smoke inhalation. this was traumatic enough they should of been in kennels and been looked after by kennel staff until the dogs had time to calm down and get over the shock of fire. now that poor man has been hurt helping a mate you can't blame it all on the dogs the owner has to take some of the blame. They needed them, they were stressed and scared in strange place with a man they didn't know that well, that if they knew him at all.
Lets all hope the man gets well soon and move on from this sorry mess
My thoughts are with this poor man, and the dogs.
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2016, 06:20 AM

Have the dogs been questioned?

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top