Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2016, 05:49 PM

Re: If I had a nail I could bite it in half.......

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Not mobile phone oriented but still inconsiderate are friends who block supermarket alleyways in supermarkets by conducting a conversation.
OMG (laughing), I had this experience just last week. I was strolling over with my basket to the sandwich meat section and two ladies were standing there chatting. I stood there for a couple of minutes (maybe not that long, I'm not sure) and even cleared my throat so they would know someone was there. Nope, didn't work, they kept babbling on. I finally said "excuse me" so they would move, but what I really wanted to say wasn't very nice, so I held my tongue.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2016, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by islandman ->
In frustration at some thoughtless people.

If you are one of those people that walk or use a car, allow me to invite you into the world of those of us that use/ rely on the bus.

It is Bank Holiday weekend, the town is full of tourists, it is wet and almost cold, so in all, a quite uninspiring day. After lunch out and a spot of shopping we head for the bus. A sprinkling of passengers need to be asked to move up to allow others to shelter inside. Then a much delayed bus arrives. We are fortunate to get a set, albeit separately. From my seat at the back, I witness a young woman and two early teenagers hover and stand in the front of the aisle. Fingers twitching at phones, headphones plugged in the ear holes and folk having difficulty in boarding so the bus departs leaving an almost empty gangway.

At the next stop, many others are waiting to board. The three youngsters, pirouette and make no difference. The driver shouts to move along the bus, and the idiots say, " there is no where to go". At that point I get involved and gesture and call out, " if you move down the bus, those tired damp elderly folk can get on" . Then came approval from those seated, my wife glared at me, but what the heck, I got it out of my system, the passengers got on and the youngsters probably thought I was mad.
Think I would have had the same reaction as your wife and glared, Can"t always have it your own way , these people pay their fare . OAPS don"t
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2016, 08:57 PM

I don't see anything wrong with asking someone to move along in order to make room for other people. When you're using public transportation (or anywhere in public at all), you need to be aware of your surroundings, not burying your face into your phone. It's selfish and rude when it's affecting others.

Wake up, people. There's a world out there and you're not the only one in it.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2016, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
I don't see anything wrong with asking someone to move along in order to make room for other people. When you're using public transportation (or anywhere in public at all), you need to be aware of your surroundings, not burying your face into your phone. It's selfish and rude when it's affecting others.

Too right.
Linda0818
USA

26-03-2016, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
Too right.
It's the zombie apocalypse, I'm telling you.

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2016, 10:07 PM

Society in this country has certainly changed over the past half-century. I dread to think what the next 50 years will bring.

I qualified for a free bus pass about three years ago, but have never bothered to apply. I wonder why.

Strangely, we have used public transport in other European countries and I can say that it was a distinctly pleasant experience. When we go to the Black Forest in June, we are not going to hire a car but to use the German railways which, as I understand it, is a completely different kettle of fish to our own. I hope!
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2016, 10:17 PM

OMG (laughing), I had this experience just last week. I was strolling over with my basket to the sandwich meat section and two ladies were standing there chatting. I stood there for a couple of minutes (maybe not that long, I'm not sure) and even cleared my throat so they would know someone was there. Nope, didn't work, they kept babbling on. I finally said "excuse me" so they would move, but what I really wanted to say wasn't very nice, so I held my tongue.

Now if that was me, I would've oh-so-accidentally-on-purpose bumped into them with the basket saying, 'Oh, I'm terribly sorry'
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2016, 10:19 PM

Spot on Linda!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2016, 10:27 PM

I love driving but since receiving my bus pass five years ago JBR I regularly use public transport and love looking out the window and watching the world go by. I like to study each passenger who boards the bus. We used to get free train travel in South Yorkshire but now we have to pay half fare but it's still good value and I take the train as often as I can, there's nothing like train travel.

Generally speaking, public transport in England is not so bad you just don't have to have high expectations.

I think if you have to get grumpy and annoyed before you have to remind other passengers to have some consideration it's a bad show and it makes you just as bad as them. No need to lose your rag.....Just tell em' and be polite! Lets not give old people a bad name.....
Linda0818
USA

26-03-2016, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Now if that was me, I would've oh-so-accidentally-on-purpose bumped into them with the basket saying, 'Oh, I'm terribly sorry'
I like you, haha

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top