Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2016, 02:49 PM

Re: Fireworks

I like the 'pretties' but not the very loud banging ones! If they were banned, the Oylympics and New Year across the world wouldn't be the same!
Plus, how could you police them going off in people's back gardens?
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2016, 03:03 PM

Here they are not sold to the public and (in theory) can only be seen in licensed public displays.

(Unless, of course, one chooses to hop over to UK to get some...technically not legal here though.)

Would love to see them banned altogether though. All that public money spent on fireworks displays could be put to much better use.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2016, 03:26 PM

We had a free display here last week when a firework shop exploded!

Video shows Southampton fireworks shop explosion - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-36288863
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2016, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye ->
It's good but I would ban them altogether from sale to the general public.
Same here. My Brother & Sister-in-Law had to send their horses to a livery stable way out in the countryside, miles from their home because of fireworks night. Even in the stables their horses used to freak out.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2016, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I like the 'pretties' but not the very loud banging ones! If they were banned, the Oylympics and New Year across the world wouldn't be the same!
Plus, how could you police them going off in people's back gardens?
The general public wouldn't be able to buy them in the first place if they were banned on public sale
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2016, 06:44 PM

I think they should ban the sale of fireworks to the general public and only allow registered organised displays.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2016, 06:54 PM

Hi

Well if they do ban them they are easy to make.

After all it's not Rocket Science is it?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
The general public wouldn't be able to buy them in the first place if they were banned on public sale
Tiffany, Lots of things are banned but are still accessible! Drugs are banned but people still buy them!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I think they should ban the sale of fireworks to the general public and only allow registered organised displays.

I agree Mags. Too many irresponsible people can buy them at the moment. I certainly don't like to see them being thrown in the streets.

If they were not on sale to the public, at least it would be an offence to have them, at the moment anyone can have them and it is not an offense, and some abuse this.

Having said that, a h-u-g-e public display is held in the park a few hundred yards away from my house every year, and some of the bangs rattle the windows and are frightening.
If people don't want them banned, laws should be put in place to limit the decibels of the explosions. Some are more like bombs going off than fireworks.

When I had my old lurcher, she used to be so terrified she would shake and tremble and was very stressed and I hated to see her like that. In fact I had to take her over to Mum's house in the next village until the displays ended, as she would get in such a state.
It's not just about kids enjoying themselves, Nov 5th has a knock on effect on other creatures too. If it was for one night only, it would help, it would help, but I last year it went on for a fortnight!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

18-05-2016, 09:19 AM

Well, l still think back to when l was in junior school, the teacher would display the fireworks on a table and then raffle them on Guy Fawke's day! I won a jumping jack!
l was a latchkey kid, so when l got home, l took the jumping jack into the garden and lit it. The bangs scared the life out of me as it seemed to follow me around the garden.
I would say, l was about eight at the time!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top