Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2016, 09:56 PM

Re: Looney Internet Is Coming

What these balloons could do is already being done by satellites, isn't it? I suppose the advantage is that balloons are cheaper than satellites.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2016, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
What these balloons could do is already being done by satellites, isn't it? I suppose the advantage is that balloons are cheaper than satellites.
Can you pop them ?

Would they be more vulnerable ?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2016, 12:46 AM

It's a nonsense to think that these things will replace landbased internet. Fibre is far quicker and, more importantly, has vastly greater capacity.

Look at your PO Tower in London, notice the lack of aerials? Radio technology inevitably runs out of capacity as it does it slows down.

In remote areas here Internet is by satellite, it is slow and clunky; part because of the distance the signal has to travel partly because of capacity constraints BUT it is better than nothing. Being better than nothing is the only advantage of these balloons.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2016, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Those who wisely anticipate the shut down of the electric grid (and other services) in the near future, will own portable solar panel gadgets which are light and can charge an average smart phone up in hours.
In the event of that happening, who would you want to communicate with?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2016, 09:29 AM

Might have to depend on these in the event of a eric trickery collapse.

Its the people in Norfolk im worried about, they have no hills to run too.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2016, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I would think staggeringly cheaper. Satellites need $billions spending in technology, rocket fuel, guidance systems etc etc. Loon balloons float up there and are then powered by solar energy.

It's a slam dunk project in terms of costs vs satellites
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2016, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
It's a nonsense to think that these things will replace landbased internet. Fibre is far quicker and, more importantly, has vastly greater capacity.
Perhaps yes, though I expect Loon will evolve quickly over time. It does plan to partner with existing telecoms providers to use some of their infrastructure but the future potential is clear to see.

Loon was first announced in 2013. By 2015 last year they had already achieved speeds of 1-2 MBs

Google chief said:

"The balloons are delivering 10x more bandwidth, 10x steer-ability, and are staying up 10x as long"

An article published back in 2014 said:

"Google executives are hoping that Project Loon balloons may be able to provide 22 MB/s of download speed to a ground antenna and 5 MB/s to a mobile device directly. Google is hoping that by 2015 there are around 300 to 400 balloons in the air at any given point of time."

I have to say that my own landline broadband is still in the 2-3MBs speed range so Loon would be better is those numbers are true.

On Google's website today they say:

"We expect Internet speeds similar to that of current LTE/4G networks"
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2016, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Perhaps yes, though I expect Loon will evolve quickly over time. It does plan to partner with existing telecoms providers to use some of their infrastructure but the future potential is clear to see.

Loon was first announced in 2013. By 2015 last year they had already achieved speeds of 1-2 MBs

Google chief said:

"The balloons are delivering 10x more bandwidth, 10x steer-ability, and are staying up 10x as long"

An article published back in 2014 said:

"Google executives are hoping that Project Loon balloons may be able to provide 22 MB/s of download speed to a ground antenna and 5 MB/s to a mobile device directly. Google is hoping that by 2015 there are around 300 to 400 balloons in the air at any given point of time."

I have to say that my own landline broadband is still in the 2-3MBs speed range so Loon would be better is those numbers are true.

On Google's website today they say:

"We expect Internet speeds similar to that of current LTE/4G networks"
The speed should increase, after all, they are closer to the "Cloud".

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top