Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2016, 10:23 AM

Re: Grandchildren Presents

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->

If they need money I'd rather give it when they need if than spoil our Christmas with cash.
Do they really need the pyjamas? Do they get underpants and socks as well? Are they looking forward to Xmas?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2016, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy ->
Do they really need the pyjamas? Do they get underpants and socks as well? Are they looking forward to Xmas?
We all enjoy the making of the gifts and really appreciate the work each other has put into them. They all love Christmas, but it's not the celebration of money that some have its about each other's company and we have a good dinner. It's what they grew up with and what they still as adults (the boys) want to do. I'm hoping we've started something they will all take into their future families, a celebration of the family rather than who spent most.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2016, 10:34 AM

I doubt my grandchildren would be thrilled if I gave them clothes, they much prefer money to spend on their computer games.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2016, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I doubt my grandchildren would be thrilled if I gave them clothes, they much prefer money to spend on their computer games.
Mine have never embraced them, they play games free ones but realise that money is better spent on more lasting pleasures, I'm quite proud when Jordan comes out of the army he will have saved enough to buy a house and is planning a business. If he'd wasted money on games that would not be on the horizon.

We've never been a family with much money so knowing he has this planned fills me with joy.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2016, 12:08 PM

Mine have never embraced them, they play games free ones but realise that money is better spent on more lasting pleasures, I'm quite proud when Jordan comes out of the army he will have saved enough to buy a house and is planning a business. If he'd wasted money on games that would not be on the horizon.

We've never been a family with much money so knowing he has this planned fills me with joy.
Most kids play computer games these days, goodness knows what they see in them. However, my grandchildren's parents are quite strict in that they are certainly not permitted to play them 24/7. The kids have to make sure their homework is done first and they take part in other activities too, like sport and drama.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2016, 12:15 PM

We all enjoy the making of the gifts and really appreciate the work each other has put into them. They all love Christmas, but it's not the celebration of money that some have its about each other's company and we have a good dinner. It's what they grew up with and what they still as adults (the boys) want to do. I'm hoping we've started something they will all take into their future families, a celebration of the family rather than who spent most.
It sounds delightful to me, Julie, Christmas as it should be!!
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2016, 12:19 PM

We have a 10 year old boy and a 3 year old girl to buy for

This year, as last year, I will be filling a stocking for each, proper with a satsuma and a bag of gold coins. Then some undies, books, colouring stuff, silly jokey bits, small toys and a games voucher for the lad

Both will be bought new coats,and Jim jams.

We help out all year buying the school shoes and uniforms

We as a family don't go overboard at Christmas. We adults do a £5 gift. We much prefer having the time to spend with each other doing stuff as a family. Grandkids love staying here, helping with the hens, making pizza and cakes and playing silly games with grandad
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2016, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy ->
If they already have everything, how about just giving them some good advice?
Thats just what I was about to say ....why give them anything if theyve got everything!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2016, 01:47 PM

We've had same rule forever or at least since a Christmas in 1990 when everyone was paying off Christmas into the new year, everything has to be home made. This year I've been making pyjamas for the boys turned out really nicely if I do say so myself, Grace has a knee length knitted coat/cardigan with a matching but contrasting hat. My husband will I'm sure like his belt with pockets, designed to hold his gardening bits he's usually looking for, now it'll all be with him.

Nathan has been learning leather craft and made Steven and his brother rather nice wallets, a nice bag for Grace not sure what I'm getting.

Grace has been brewing smelly gifts, making soaps and candles.

My husband has been making rugs all year so I'm guessing we will all get a bedside rug.

If they need money I'd rather give it when they need if than spoil our Christmas with cash.
What a lovely idea Julie. It makes it less commercial.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2016, 01:48 PM

I am sorry but I cannot help at all, as I have no Grandchildren. But I do agree with some of the posts, that money is a safe bet.

I would dearly love some Grandchildren, so I could help out on that.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top