Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2016, 04:57 PM

Re: Just who do they think they are!!

Originally Posted by Abbey ->
Since obesity levels are rising so alarmingly then clearly some people do need to take advice about their diet .

I have no idea how people think it's expensive to eat 5 a day . 3 of the 5 are supposed to be vegetables which are just about the cheapest foods you can buy .
I am a vegetarian and my food bill is so much less when my meat eating OH is away .
Since I have almost cut out meat ( I have it occasionally) my food bills have gone down dramatically Abbey
I also feel better less 'sluggish' and pleasantly full after meals .
Just worked out by the end of today I will have had 9 fruits and vegetables ..
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2016, 05:01 PM

Today for my lunch I had a big bowl of homemade soup . There was a mix of fresh and frozen veg in the soup as well as broth mix . It was absolutely lovely and so filling and yet cost very little to make .
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2016, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
But why buy a Mcdonalds in the first place instead of making your own food.
The sad excuse for 'vegetables' a few pieces of salad served on some awful ersatz bread roll hardly qualifies as 5 a day.

Better to have a bowl of home made soup which really does contain 5 a day and a home made wholemeal roll .

Tried that, but it all went in my lap whilst I was driving.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2016, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
But why buy a Mcdonalds in the first place instead of making your own food.
The sad excuse for 'vegetables' a few pieces of salad served on some awful ersatz bread roll hardly qualifies as 5 a day.

Better to have a bowl of home made soup which really does contain 5 a day and a home made wholemeal roll .
Meg, I'm certainly with you on that and if we could get youngsters to actually eat 5-a day fruit and veg that would be wonderful. But let's be realistic, you never will! You give them a choice of a Macdonald's with everything or a healthy bowl of home made soup and a wholemeal roll and I guarantee which the majority would choose!

Truthfully, my annoyance is really about the 5-a day figure only. I just don't like being preached to by people who make it up as they go along to justify their jobs.
Genuine, reseached data followed by guidance for the public? yes and yes again.
Pinched jingle from a supermarket and pretending it was all their findings?
lying, deceitful, condescending nonsense.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2016, 06:41 PM

These "Experts" usually get paid Megabucks . So why not contradict what all the others have said.
Just a joke really.
I carry on in my own sweet way eating what I know is healthy and always adhere to the old adage "A little of what you fancy , does you good ".
stuff them TBH
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2016, 06:51 PM

This is quite close to my heart-seen too much waffle. Eat greens because they photosynthesise-oh really-in your gut? Last time I looked it was pretty dark.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2016, 06:53 PM

5 a day..bacon and sausage for breakfast, ginsters steak and kidney pie for brunch, Big Mac for lunch, chicken curry for dinner, pork pie for supper, proper grub
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2016, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
5 a day..bacon and sausage for breakfast, ginsters steak and kidney pie for brunch, Big Mac for lunch, chicken curry for dinner, pork pie for supper, proper grub
Bring on the cardiac arrest, eh, Rehab
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2016, 11:06 AM

I tend to ignore the preachings of these so-called experts sermons on the obvious rights and wrongs of what and when we should eat.
Over the years they have spouted their scare stories telling us to stop eating this and that but I have never taken any notice of them.

Take for instance the huge effect they had on people who ate dairy products such as butter!
Many years ago they decreed that eating saturated fats was a sure-fire way towards a coronary risk, so the vast majority heeded their “expert” advice and switched to unsaturated brands.
Now we find out that the above “expert advice” was a myth! According to the latest scientific research, the people who eat butter and other saturated fats don’t get any sicker and the millions of people who reduced their intake of butter don’t get any better!! There is simply no connection between butter and heart disease.

The same result - that butter is completely harmless - has been scientifically proven recently, again, and again and again!.

As I say, I never listened to them all those years ago and happily continued to slather my lovely Kerrygold onto my toast.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2016, 11:38 AM

Hi

We have an a growing epidemic of obesity and diabetes, it is costing the NHS a fortune.

It makes no sense to allow this to continue unchecked, who we do this, I am not sure.

The problem with sugar and saturated fats is that they are very high in calories, so very easy to put on weight

The simple solution to the obesity epidemic is to encourage people to eat less and exercise more, unfortunately it is proving very difficult to get this message across.

The big food companies have a lot to answer for, sugary, fatty foods make big profits.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top