Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2016, 10:42 PM

Re: Internet surveillance law comes in this week - and will not prevent terrorism!

Originally Posted by Realist ->

One is given to wonder, if the VPN service is so anonymous and not tracked, how could they possibly know whether someone was engaging in these activities? Equally, if they detected such activities, how could they know which user account was responsible in order to terminate it?
It's called covering your arse and is undoubtedly true in the USA but who uses a VPN Server in the USA or the UK or Australia except to overcome geoblocking?
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 01:52 AM

Re: Internet surveillance law comes in this week - and will not prevent terrorism!

In addition to the points Bruce has made, if you don't trust VPN companies you can just buy your own server and set up your own VPN
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
In addition to the points Bruce has made, if you don't trust VPN companies you can just buy your own server and set up your own VPN
You don't even need a server. My dual WAN modem has "dial-in" VPN capability which I set up and use for convenience when I am using someone else's public wifi - especially if it involves banking or money - using it also has the advantage if I am overseas of not triggering alarm bells with Hotmail and Gmail.

My modem is a Draytek Vigor 2920Vn (I needed VOIP) which is getting a bit long in the tooth now but it does me.

Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
You don't even need a server. My dual WAN modem has "dial-in" VPN capability which I set up and use for convenience when I am using someone else's public wifi - especially if it involves banking or money - using it also has the advantage if I am overseas of not triggering alarm bells with Hotmail and Gmail.

My modem is a Draytek Vigor 2920Vn (I needed VOIP) which is getting a bit long in the tooth now but it does me.

Yep... but that means the traffic is logged with your ISP. Definitely good for when you want to use public wifi tho
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

04-12-2016, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Yep... but that means the traffic is logged with your ISP. Definitely good for when you want to use public wifi tho
Oh yes but for the purposes I use my personal VPN for that is fine, it is only used for personal security and geolocation.

I certainly don't use it for accessing someone like Buccaneer Cove that is reserved for servers in countries like Switzerland and Japan and anyway I don't do anything that is going to get me targeted by the NSA, I doubt anything will protect you from them.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 10:36 AM

Looks like this thread is giving advice to Pedoes Muslim terriosts and all other scum

I use the "Pirate Bay" all the time and have never resorted to using a VPN.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

06-12-2016, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by galty ->
I use the "Pirate Bay" all the time and have never resorted to using a VPN.
Best of luck with that.

British ISPs Will Soon Start Sending Piracy Warnings

Added: Monday, December 5th, 2016
Category: Bit Torrent Freedom > The Right To Share
Tags:ISP, Download, BitTorrent, MPAA, RIAA, copyright-infringement, file-sharing, Torrenting

A broad UK anti-piracy effort is expected to start in early 2017: copyright holders will ask Internet Service Providers to send email notifications to their customers whose connections are allegedly used to pirate content. Such warnings are meant to educate pirates about legal alternatives and hopefully decrease piracy rates over time.

The UK copyright alert program will monitor the illegal file-sharing habits of people and will focus on repeat infringers. The program was first announced a few years ago, but it took some time to get everything ready and is expected to finally roll out in first few months of 2017. Perhaps, ISPs and copyright owners needed to fine-tune their systems, but the general purpose remains the same and focused on education.

The alert emails are expected to be similar to the US warnings, except that there will be no direct punishments tied to them. But the alerts will list details about the files the user shared illegally and how this can be prevented in the future. A central goal of the alerts is pointing people towards one of the many legal alternatives, thus effectively decreasing piracy rates over time. The program developers are confident that they can drive some significant change.

Industry observers remind that talks about this alert program have been on the agenda for almost 10 years, but it’s getting close to go live when P2P file-sharing is on the decline, first time for many years. According to recent research, most British file-sharers have shifted towards direct download and streaming services. Taking into account that the copyright alerts only target peer-to-peer sharing, it will have less of an impact today than a few years ago.

Thanks to TorrentFreak for providing the source of the article.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top