manchester uk
Meep is female 

27-01-2017, 07:45 PM

Re: Who are they?

Abbey's right, its the russian hackers
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2017, 07:45 PM

If it gets hassle, just defrock yourself.
Conroy
Surrey .uk
Conroy is male  Conroy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2017, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I noticed today I had a friend request from a new member who hasn't posted anything . Why would they think I'll accept a friend request from someone who's just joined in recent days and never posted . Of course I shall ignore them
"Noli equi dentes inspicere donati"
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2017, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
Those visitors to your, and my, profile page? Can it be the same OFF members paying regular visits? New members just being inquisitive? Guests or Google Spiders? Any ideas?
They are Google spiders and bots mainly indexing our pages
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2017, 08:24 PM

Erm.....what on earth are Google spiders?
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2017, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Conroy ->
"Noli equi dentes inspicere donati"
"Do not look a gift horse in the mouth"
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2017, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Must be since you put up that new picture of your beautiful mug EZ.

Seriously though, I think people see a post and wonder what the writer looks like, just natural curiosity I suppose.
I have never refused a friend request, new member or old, nor would I now, it takes a bit of pluck to ask someone to befriend you and I admire pluck in a person. if there were any sinister motives behind it I’d soon find out and that would be that, but that’s just my opinion.
I have to add that I have been ‘defriended’ three times without reason, I felt guilty for a while wondering what I did wrong to those folks, but I soon got over it and care not anymore, life’s too short for any forum hassle.
What a very interesting point of view Jem. That's a lovely attitude.
Makes me feel quite guilty for my profile comment.
Nah, just remembered I don't do guilt, waste of energy!

I always kind of assumed that if you accept a friend request it means you have to keep chatting to them by pm.
I really don't have the time to do that...
But I quite often engage in a flurry (lovely word!) of pms with someone about this or that, so I suppose these are my friends anyway.

So that's alright then!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2017, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Erm.....what on earth are Google spiders?
SG they are also called 'web crawlers' and are automatic bots that scan all the pages on a website so they can be indexed on Google .

So when you search for a group of words on Google say 'how to make marmalade' Google will bring up a lot of pages with those words on that have been scanned and indexed by bots.

Companies pay large amounts of money to have words included on their web pages ( search engine optimisation) for bots to scan and index in order to get a higher page ranking on Google so you see their business first when searching .
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2017, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
SG they are also called 'web crawlers' and are automatic bots that scan all the pages on a website so they can be indexed on Google .

So when you search for a group of words on Google say 'how to make marmalade' Google will bring up a lot of pages with those words on that have been scanned and indexed by bots.

Companies pay large amounts of money to have words included on their web pages ( search engine optimisation) for bots to scan and index in order to get a higher page ranking on Google so you see their business first when searching .
Thank you very much for that information Meg, I certainly never knew that! At least I won't be such an ignoramus when someone is talking about Google Spiders and Bots in future.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2017, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Thank you very much for that information Meg, I certainly never knew that! At least I won't be such an ignoramus when someone is talking about Google Spiders and Bots in future.

Hi

I Googled spiders, top of the page was tarantula.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top