Join for free
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 08:15 AM

Re: Affordable Housing

Who are buying these houses?....
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
This article re Grenfell poses some questions re social housing .

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...ell-Tower.html
Hi

I am not a fan of the author of the article, however in this instance, he is spot on.

Loads of illegals, nothing done about them.

Illegal subletting of houses and flats, illegal internal alterations and overcrowding all contribute to fire risk.

If we got rid of the illegals, and just as importantly, stopped them flooding into the UK, there would be hundreds of thousands of houses and flats and jobs available for our own.

There should have not been one single illegal in these flats.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 08:45 AM

I'm not sure adding a few affordable homes to developments is a great idea anyway because it makes selling the original homes harder so why would a builder do it ?

Gated community near here has police presence frequently due to residents complaints about the housing association houses they tacked on the end.

Much better to build real affordable homes in their own street or estate IMO

I wonder though what affordable means I know the people moved from our flats into them struggle to afford the rents there and the service charge is much higher than mine.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 09:09 AM

Another misguided idea was that if you integrate social housing with private housing in makes a community and the supposed social reciprients will learn from their presumably richer if not better neighbours the art of being a reposnsible householder. As opposed to sticking everyone on a social housing estate .
On such estates there has always been anti social elements who give the place a bad name and make life impossible for everybody else .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 09:12 AM

Those anti social elements need weeding out and locating in one estate, let them annoy each other leave the happy residents alone.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 09:15 AM

How council officers who alot houses don't care as long as they don't have to live next door to miscreants .
And also there is always an element of fear in these cases. Who is going to report anti social behaviour sooner or later those reported will get their own back on whoever they think reported them.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

10-07-2017, 09:20 AM

How council officers who alot houses don't care as long as they don't have to live next door to miscreants .
And also there is always an element of fear in these cases. Who is going to report anti social behaviour sooner or later those reported will get their own back on whoever they think reported them.
That's true but I'm betting police can point out a few of the worst cases. And outsiders to the trouble usually have some idea who is causing problems too. We have three here, they were causing so much trouble on other estates they were put here idea being we will civilise them. Sadly we haven't we have just become victims of their vitriol and spite.

They truly believe in spreading their unhappiness far and wide.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

10-07-2017, 09:41 AM

Julie the police are not always really interested .
My son owns a flat in a block where most are housing association .
When I first went there about a week after he bought it the whole lobby had been covered with obscene graffiti . I reported this to the council and they came and did a really awful job over painting it.
I inquired of the bottom floor occupant nearest the lobby a single mother with three young children what had happened .
She told me it had been done by youths from a family who lived nearby ( not in the block ) and frequently vandalised the lobby smoking and at one time had lit a fire in it .( a three story block with only one way out via the lobby )She had spoken to the father of the kids concerned and he had threatened her with violence .The poor woman was clearly terrified and said she could not tell me who they were for that reason .
As I walked back to my car someone ran after me.
It was the the woman's young daughter a child about nine .
She told me straight off the name and address of the family concerned .
I went straight to the police told them and they said the family was known to them ( as trouble) I also told them of the intimidation of the little family on the ground floor .
To future protect this family I printed off a large number of leaflets explaining the vandalism in the flats giving in large letters the incident number and the telephone nos number of the police and the housing association and asking them to protect their neighbourhood by reporting any such incidents immediately .
These i hand delivered to every house that surrounded this block of flats including the micreants one .
I worded it Protect Your Community .
Since then I have done this again re fly tipping which is also rife in the area and done by anti social elements to the detriment of the residents .
By putting leaflets through the neighbours door it reaches them directly and they don't have to search for telephone numbers .
I have also stuck notices up in the lobby on the notice board to that effect.
If anti social elements think they are being generally monitored by the community they will one hopes think twice .
However this does of course depend on the police taking positive action
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 09:54 AM

Hi

There is a points system for housing allocations, it was developed ages ago and favours the worst, not the most deserving of applicants.

There should not be a single illegal living in Social Housing, but there are, papers should be properly checked, they aren't.

There is also the problem of illegal subletting, again down to a lack of housing management.

One person gets the flat, lets it out to others, whilst claiming Housing Benefits.

You are quite correct Muddy, it needs a clampdown.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

10-07-2017, 10:00 AM

I agree Swims .
Alotting houses on the basis of need is not fair .
And not just illegals
Why should people come from other countries with families and be given social housing just because they need it .
While local people are on the housing list for years
Don't they need it too?

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top