Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2017, 11:11 PM

Re: On here and on the phone.

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
I've had a similar frustrating afternoon trying to find house insurance.

There's a stream opposite, which the insurers seem to think is going to flood, So since last year they have gone OTT on this area. It's madness.
I went through 15-20mins of questions, 3 times with 3 different brokers only to be told 'Sorry, it's an unacceptable area'!!!! What!!!????
Just because of a stream that doesn't flood and is lower down and over the road anyway?

And what was even more frustrating is you can't just give the postcode and ask them to check first if they will provide insurance, oh no, you have to go through all the effing questions re your property before they tell you.

There must be a better way of doing it surely. If it's about what's out and about in the area, rather than your property, my logic says they should work on the postcode first. But what do I know.... are you with all of this?

I have got insurance that runs out on the 18th, I was wanting to see if I could get it cheaper, it's gone up £50 since last year. So I'll have to stay with them. It doesn't include flood insurance anyway which is why I went with them last year.
Edited to add: And, they've charged me £30 for an 'admin fee, which they didn't charge me last year, Pah!

Such is life.

It's car insurance next month I think. It's such a pain every year isn't it
Coincidentally, I am in a similar situation.

Firstly, though, I believe that insurers rely more on published data of flood areas or areas thought to be a flood risk.

We have a stream which, like yours, is on the other side of the road. In our favour, there are a few other considerations: the stream at normal levels is 4 or 5 feet below the level of the road; the road slopes and about 100 years down the road, roughly the lowest point, the road is about 6 feet lower than where we are. Add these together, and the place would have to flood to a depth of at least 10 feet before any water would even reach the bottom of our drive. Then it would have to rise a further 5 or 6 feet before it got as far as the bottom of our house wall.

I explained all of this to our insurers and they seemed perfectly happy, especially as we are not in a known flood area.

Out of interest, are you in an area at risk of flooding? I believe if you google it, you can find maps of such flood areas.
On what grounds do they think your stream is going to flood?

If they are being awkward, try another company. If the worst comes to the worst, and they all decline to insure you, perhaps you could agree insurance excluding any flood damage if you are sure that your area isn't going to suffer from flooding.

I would have done that, if necessary, because (for the reasons I have given) I am confident that our property is definitely not going to flood...

unless what happened to Noah should happen again!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top