Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2011, 12:26 AM

Re: Brain Cells Communicating....

Originally Posted by merz ->
Dragon, I also contracted Polio when I was young-about 7/8 years old. Remember it well-it affected my right leg, making it about 2 inches shorter than my left-have walked lopsided all my life!

My earliest memory is starting school and those tiny toilets! Can remember keep asking to go to the toilet and then sitting there and crying and refusing to come out because I just wanted to go home!!

Merz, It makes us appreciate the Polio inoculation that we were able to have as children (from reading this). However, I did not appreciate it at the time!

So sad too your experience in the School Toilets, of feeling almost abandoned!

(I remember somewhere reading of something similar, whereby the young child discovered there was no toilet paper available, and spent almost the entire afternoon in the toilet too embarrassed to come out. A 'Search Party' found her in the end). Poor little thing.

Rainbow x
dragon
florida, usa
dragon is female  dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2011, 12:28 AM

I was one of the lucky ones. Some kids, in other states, were put in mental hospitals and went through a real horror fest.
I had to relearn to walk and kids, being kids, bullied me terribly about it.
dragon
florida, usa
dragon is female  dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2011, 12:31 AM

Merz: Even though things have come a long way since those days, the memories still have abilities to hurt. My heart goes out to you.
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2011, 12:35 AM

There are certain attitudes and ways of the past, that almost defy belief!!!

Rainbow x
dragon
florida, usa

04-02-2011, 12:37 AM

Some still linger Rainbow! Some still linger.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2011, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by dragon ->
I was one of the lucky ones. Some kids, in other states, were put in mental hospitals and went through a real horror fest.
I had to relearn to walk and kids, being kids, bullied me terribly about it.
Know exactly what you mean Dragon. I used to get called dreadful names because of the way I walked, but as I got older, somehow learned to ignore them, but you never forget.
Originally Posted by dragon ->
Merz: Even though things have come a long way since those days, the memories still have abilities to hurt. My heart goes out to you.
Think I surprised myself replying to this thread-didn't really realise that that earliest memory could return to mind so clearly......
dragon
florida, usa

04-02-2011, 12:54 AM

Almost like it happened yesterday! A few years ago I was able to obtain all the paper work of my stay & treatment in that hospital. The remarks were VERY short & NOT like they would have been in today's world. I was shocked at some of the crap they pumped into my body that wasn't even a form of the treatment. They were guessing & grabbing at any straw that MIGHT help.
I guess I can say: I know what a lab rat feels.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2011, 01:34 PM

One of my memories from an early age is going to hospital and having my tonsils out - should only have been there a few days but had to remain for three weeks (whole ward in isolation) as one kid contracted Dyptheria. Lay in my hospital bed at t'other end of ward and watched him die.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2011, 04:15 PM

I remember being in hospital for an eye operation when I was between 18 months and 2 years old. I had this recurring dream of being in a lift where you could see the walls as the doors were grilles. I still vividly remember the colours and sounds. Years later I went back to the same hospital and recognised the lift down to the operating theatre.
I suppose no-one bothers telling a toddler what`s happening.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2011, 09:22 PM

It's amazing how most of your memories have to do with sickness and accidents. I was holding my Mothers hand at a busy roadside, when suddenly a young Woman dashed out into the traffic. I wont go into the gory details, but the look of shock and surprise on her open dead eyes has never left me, I was about four at the time.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top