Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2011, 01:56 AM

Re: Just how tolerant are you....?

When I used to have long chats with my lovely Gran, she was never shocked by anything. Knew things that you would not have imagined. Laughed like a hoot, while others blushed. She would also say that I would laugh if I saw a pudding crawl.

She was a real peach.

Rainbow x
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2011, 01:26 AM

Must say I've never liked the word tolerant in this context - I actually think it's quite insulting.

You don't 'tolerate' women (or men if you're a woman ) for example - you accept them as an equal.

Same goes for people of different races, sexuality, religions even - I judge people on their actions and their opinions, not because of the colour of their skin, or where they come from, or who they are, or what religion they were born into.
dragon
florida, usa
dragon is female  dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2011, 01:56 AM

I may have used a poor choice of words for you, but I assure you I meant no insult to anyone.
I,like you, accept folks for just who they are with no regard to race, religion, sexuality, political, or education.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2011, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by dragon ->
I may have used a poor choice of words for you, but I assure you I meant no insult to anyone.
I,like you, accept folks for just who they are with no regard to race, religion, sexuality, political, or education.
Hi Dragon - I wasn't having a pop at you *hug*. I know that word has been used in that context for some time - just think it's getting a little bit out-dated now (I appreciate that sometimes we forget tho).

I think what people traditionally used the word tolerant for, nowadays is better covered by 'decent'. Although can see the problems in starting a thread 'how decent are you' - as some people would take that to be presumptuousness

Having said that and back on topic, I would say these days 'tolerate' is more for things like people smoking around you - as that has a negative impact on your own health, and so it would be ok to say you tolerate or not tolerate it.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2011, 07:53 AM

Trends and life styles are just fads and wash over my head.

Todays Music is another matter I switch it on and tolerate it for Oh! about 5 seconds then put some real music on.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2011, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
Trends and life styles are just fads and wash over my head.

Todays Music is another matter I switch it on and tolerate it for Oh! about 5 seconds then put some real music on.
As long as that Antibrown??? - In which case I would say you are a VERY tolerant person - I detest with a vengeance this so-called modern 'pop' music, give me Classic FM everytime and some decent classical, soothing music to listen to.
mrmojorisin
Tangy Town, UK
mrmojorisin is male  mrmojorisin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2011, 08:51 AM

I live in the now, always have. I have no problem with modern trends. I particulary love good music, there's plenty of good modern stuff if you seek it out. On the other hand I see nothing wrong with good old fashioned nostalgia either.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2011, 11:53 AM

I'm not sure you have to be a person of the 21st century to be tolerant. I think tolerance is something people often have to work on and develop.
I think as I have got older I have gained more tolerance. I have learned to wait and see and come to realise that things are rarely black and white as I thought when I was younger.
dragon
florida, usa
dragon is female  dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2011, 12:22 PM

You're right Aerolor! Those shades of grey can make a big difference.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by dragon ->
I guess I didn't make myself clear on this.
I meant trends, music, life styles, etc.
Hi there dearest Dragon,

Trends:-

Oh boy how many do you want

Wearing ones baseball cap backwards arghhhhhhhh

What can I say, some poorly paid clothing designer spends hours if not days designing a nice cap with a sun shade and these idiots put it on back to front.

Music:-

I am standing in my meadow listening to the birds and tending my fruit trees when a car comes down the road and all I can hear is thump, thump, thump, from this modern mumbo jumbo music, drives me mad

Life styles:-

Hmmmm, not sure what to put here, I suppose I could say all those people who borrowed money irresponsibly (Sp?)and now cause me to get zero returns on my savings. They did the wrong thing I did the right thing yet it is me who is suffering, to hell with them (And the idiots who lent them money as well)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top