Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2011, 04:36 PM

Re: Strangers stroking your dog?

Originally Posted by Cassie ->
Dont read this as rude to those that do but I teach my 3 to mind their own business and not go bothering other dogs, people or other animals. They get spoilt rotten by me but are mine same as my kids and I dont let people fuss them either lol I need to be on top of what the dogs are doing and able to control them.. therefore I dont allow it. Its just a personal thing and not cos I think those that do are wrong.
Interesting that we have such differing views Cassie. My rationale is the opposite to yours and it is always my intention to make any dog I have as "bombproof" and reliable as I can, for its own sake as well as mine. For me this means exposing my dogs to as many different people//dogs/situations as I can, which then enables them to cope with whatever they may come across. Control is always there and I don't really look at it as a control thing. For me it means that even if somebody or some other dog behaves inappropriately, my dogs are reliable, safe and socially appropriate in their reactions and behaviour. They don't make nuisances of themselves - quite the opposite, but If a dog or person want to play/interact with them then thats fine and everyone is happy. If another dog becomes a nuisance they tell it to clear off and thats fine as well.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2011, 06:02 PM

I get what you do too Aerolor and like I said I dont consider your method as bad practice I just have a different method. Two working sighthounds and a working falconry dog need to work for me and me alone. Once back indoors they mooch and wander about as they wish. When guests knock they dont rush to the door assuming the guests are theirs (not that im suggesting yours does). They just are chilled out and calm. I cant stress enough that I find no fault in others training but there's 22 dogs here and a slightly different angle is used otherwise there'd be chaos!!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2011, 07:38 PM

Twenty two dogs Cassie - you must be busy !!!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2011, 07:42 PM

Yes Cassie, 22 dogs? I daren't ask.....
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2011, 10:42 PM

Its a licenced breeding kennels of working Vizslas, a Weimeraner stud dog, a working spaniel and a lurcher... then my 2 lurchers and Vizsla. Oh and the guard dog.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2011, 11:00 PM

Twenty two? Surely you don't do all the work Cassie? I do envy your life at times with those wonderful birds.
Cassie
West Wales

18-02-2011, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by maryl ->
Twenty two? Surely you don't do all the work Cassie? I do envy your life at times with those wonderful birds.
No I dont! I can just about train the few I have to deal with as ive a bad back. Im usually on puppy patrol looking after them. I get my kennel cleaned I just feed my 2 outdoor girls myself and Magik my Vizsla lives indoors with me.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2011, 11:50 PM

Well that's a relief, you got me wondering there. Sorry about your back, seems you don't let it get you down.
Cassie
West Wales

18-02-2011, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by maryl ->
Well that's a relief, you got me wondering there. Sorry about your back, seems you don't let it get you down.
Im too loaded with painkillers to notice lol but I often spend a 3 day stint flat on my back cos ive walked too much.. its not much fun really.
CritterMum
West Mifflin, United States
CritterMum is female  CritterMum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2011, 09:25 AM

Yes, everytime I take Dutchess for a walk, or to one of the Pet Food stores. She walks nicely on her leash, people ask if she is friendly & I tell them yes. And she stands nicely while the people pet her, scratch her behind the ears, etc.

Recently we were at a store named PETCO, everyone was happy to be allowed to pet her & amazed as how calm she was. She got a little excited as people were gathering with their puppies for Puppy Kindergarten". And I told her "do you remember when you were that little?" And a couple of the puppy owners just smiled. Dutchess walks so nicely beside the shopping cart.

Then along came a handicapped man down 1 of the aisles, walking with 2 canes. Dutchess sat down, without any commands to sit. She shook paws with the man (which I never taught her), she let him scratch her head & was listening intently more to him, it seemed, then to the other people. I was so proud of her that she sat down on her own! All the other people in the store, Dutchess would just be standing, but somehow she knew to be very gentle with the handicapped man.

Dutchess turned 3 yrs on 17 December; she is 1/2 American Staffordshire Terrier & 1/2 Weimaraner. And she is an excellent watch dog!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top