Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 02:02 PM

Re: cooker/fridge on line ?

Before buying any large or expensive item, we always consult WHICH, the consumer's organisation, of which we have been members, since we married in 1969.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 02:33 PM

We've just splashed out on an American Fridge Freezer which we bought from online electrical retailer - AO.Com. We were very cautious before parting with our money because we too have always viewed large goods, especially white goods, in person before buying. Although they are an online company, their price, delivery, cost of taking the old fridge/freezer away and recycling of the new fridge/freezer packaging was a lot cheaper than any of the other retailers.

We first researched the company thoroughly (including through avenues that I know of working in Finance) and read many independent reviews from customers not on their own website, before purchasing. The majority were really pleased with the product that they had bought, customer service, delivery and after-sales service. They delivered it at the time and day arranged and we are really pleased so far.
They even telephoned on the day of delivery to ensure we were happy with everything! Can't see Curry's ever doing that!!!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2018, 08:34 AM

I research into every electrical item l buy.

I read reviews and I go to the library to read the Which magazine. Even if it’s said that companies pay them to promote their goods, l have never been let down by their advice.

I usually ring up a store to purchase the item, rather than pay for it online. I use John Lewis and Costco mainly.
I wouldn’t buy anything from Curry’s!!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2018, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I read reviews and I go to the library to read the Which magazine. Even if it’s said that companies pay them to promote their goods, l have never been let down by their advice.
I've been a "Which" member for many years and I have never seen any evidence of partiality or bribery but, like you, I have never been let down by their advice.

Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2018, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I've been a "Which" member for many years and I have never seen any evidence of partiality or bribery but, like you, I have never been let down by their advice.

Omah, l did have a trial run of Which once but the membership was quite expensive.
I must be really sad, as l love going to the library just to read the Which magazines!
There is so much good reading and it points out the good and bad of the products it lists.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2018, 12:54 PM

Omah, l did have a trial run of Which once but the membership was quite expensive.
I pay about £100 pa (a cup of cafe tea a week)- that is easily recouped in the savings I make in not buying rubbish goods that have to be returned or discarded.

I must be really sad, as l love going to the library just to read the Which magazines!
There is so much good reading and it points out the good and bad of the products it lists.
Good reading, indeed, and not just about products, but services, lifestyle, education, care, etc, etc - even if I don't save money, I learn lots about living .....

ETA

One major benefit I obtained from Which was many years ago, when there was an outcry over endowment mortgages being missold. I used the Which advice and letter templates to pursue my case with the building society, Ombudsman and FSA (now FCA). It took 6 months of work but my case was upheld and I received substantial reimbursement and costs, thanks to using Which.
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2018, 04:29 PM

I do buy online only after I’ve seen the item in store .
I’d only buy electrical goods from John Lewis with the extra free guarantee , also I’ve found their customer support to be excellent. No I’m not getting paid for this feedback

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top