Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2018, 07:08 PM

Re: Toothpaste on prescription?

if treatments are available at chemists it will take a lot of pressure off doctors and then they can see people with more serious ailments/illness and we may be able to see a doctor quicker. I think it's a good thing. Chemists are very highly trained and usually know what they are talking about.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2018, 08:30 PM

Very interesting.In my recent prescription delivery was some Eye ointment & some Tears eye lotion,which I never ordered.I had these last year when I had a very bad eye infection,but my eyes have been clear for a long time now
One ward I was in in hospital I was given a small tooth brush & toothpaste,there was shampoo & showergel available,But though Ive been in hospital a few times since no other ward has supplied anything
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2018, 08:45 PM

I don't think there is anything wrong with hospitals supplying toiletries particularly when people come in via an ambulance and don't have any friends to bring in what they need. Hospitals certainly need plenty of soap and antibacterial to keep germs from patients and visitors to a minimum. The problem is if companies are over charging the NHS for these products.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2018, 09:29 PM

During my last cancer I lost something like 3 Stones and my GP prescribed me Complan but made clear that they were moving away from this practice as it was classed as a food.

I've got a small toiletries bag into which I stow my toothbrush,toothpaste, special soap I use and my razor blades.

This all resides in my 2 largish (going to hospital bags) in which I have enough clothes to last me. My only complaint is that hospital wards should have their own washing machines as it's a real hassle,living alone and having to have others bring in fresh clothes if I run out.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2018, 11:01 PM

I do have seb derm and when it was first diagnosed I took the prescription as at that time a script was around £4 and to buy over the counter was £6 and I was piss poor

now I get free scripts and I buy OTC because now I can afford to
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2018, 11:30 PM

Some of these conditions can have complications that are more expensive to treat if they become more serious.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2018, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
When i was in hospital there were gift bags of basic toiletries gifted by the major brands, but on prescription that is odd seeing as they have just stopped providing medication for about 30 health problems

The controversial changes will come into force at the end of May.
GPs will no longer be allowed to treat.

Acute sore throats.
Cold sores.
Conjunctivitis.
Coughs and colds.
Nasal congestion.
Cradle cap (seborrhoeic dermatitis).
Haemorrhoids.
Infant colic.
Mild cystitis.
Mild irritant dermatitis.
Dandruff.
Infrequent diarrhoea or constipation.
Dry or sore eyes.
Earwax.
Excessive sweating (Hyperhidrosis).
Head lice.
Indigestion.
Heartburn.
Infrequent migraines.
Insect bites and stings.
Mild acne and/or dry skin.
Sunburn or the need for sun protection.
Mild to moderate hay fever.
Seasonal rhinitis.
Minor burns and scalds.
Mild pain, discomfort and/fever (e.g. aches and sprains, headache, period pain, back pain).
Mouth ulcers.
Nappy rash.
Oral thrush.
Prevention of dental caries.
Athletes foot
Teething.
Toothache.
Ringworm or threadworm.
Travel sickness
Warts or verrucas.
yep they all sound like basic pom diseases caused by living in inclement climates?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2018, 06:22 AM

Pharmacists/Chemists are indeed very highly qualified - in their own field. They are not, however, qualified to diagnose. Cans of worms and compensation claims come to mind here.

Does this new ruling mean we are to self diagnose and just go and buy what we think we need?

Or, are GP's going diagnose - then send us off to the pharmacy to buy the meds instead of prescribing them?

I can see the point of some of it - a lot of people, especially those exempt from charges, ask for basics such as Ibuprofen, Paracetamol, bandages, plasters etc., to be added to a prescription - when they are perfect cheap to buy over the counter in many supermarkets.

I am all for saving NHS money - but have uneasy feeling about this one.

Would you - or a Pharmacist - know for sure the difference between mild cyctitis and a UTI? Or between heartburn and a potential heart attack warning?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

30-07-2018, 06:51 AM

I would say it's the latter. The doctor would diagnose and advise you what to buy. My GP already does. You need a prescription for paracetamol because they only give you 32 OTC because of the suicide risk. They tend to give you a months worth in a prescription. It's really for people who are at home recovering from an op or have chronic pain. One of the links posted said that this is not a blanket ban and vulnerable people will be exempt.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2018, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Pharmacists/Chemists are indeed very highly qualified - in their own field. They are not, however, qualified to diagnose. Cans of worms and compensation claims come to mind here.

Does this new ruling mean we are to self diagnose and just go and buy what we think we need?

Or, are GP's going diagnose - then send us off to the pharmacy to buy the meds instead of prescribing them?

I can see the point of some of it - a lot of people, especially those exempt from charges, ask for basics such as Ibuprofen, Paracetamol, bandages, plasters etc., to be added to a prescription - when they are perfect cheap to buy over the counter in many supermarkets.

I am all for saving NHS money - but have uneasy feeling about this one.

Would you - or a Pharmacist - know for sure the difference between mild cyctitis and a UTI? Or between heartburn and a potential heart attack warning?
That's the usual procedure in many countries .
Some people just want everything for free.
Drugs with a oredscriotion cost more than buying them OTC because of the prescription charge.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top