Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Nuttygran
Northumberland, UK.
Nuttygran is female  Nuttygran has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2011, 04:41 PM

Re: Did anyone watch

I could not bring myself to watch it but I agree that it should be allowed in the UK. As one poster said, we wouldn't allow a beloved pet to suffer.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2011, 06:47 PM

My husband died when he was only forty of stomach cancer, he was in hospital for a few months and it was awful, I was glad when he died as he was then not in the awful pain, and the Hallusinations had all gone. I have remarried since.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2011, 06:56 PM

My heart goes out to you anniemuldoon, cancer is a horrible disease. My father died of lung cancer in 2000, and there were many times in his last weeks that he begged me to help him die...the hardest thing that I ever did was to allow him to carry on suffering...
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2011, 08:34 PM

I don't think there will be many of us on this forum who hasn't had some first hand experience of death and dying experiences in relation to their loved ones.
The problem, I think, is the burden of responsibility placed on the other person if they assist a person to end their life when asked to do so. Apart from the legal complications, that person has to reconcile their decision and action afterwards and for many people that can be a very difficult thing to handle. There are also questions of the potential for abuse and coercion if the Law becomes relaxed and if other people like loved ones and relatives are able to act or decide for someone else.
Personally, I think if I was suffering a terminal illness, I would have hoped to put in place something like a very specific Living Will beforehand, so that if I am unable to help myself my loved ones would not feel they need to assist and it would be my wish to absolve them of any responsibility to help or decide the best course of action for me. There would be no ambiguity or doubt about things If I have decided beforehand and appointed someone to see my wishes are fulfilled.
I would then trust my care to the experts and I think aspects of the Law should be satisfied with this.
There are some excellent professionals working in palliative care and modern methods of pain control and management of the dying person can be so sophisticated these days, that when done properly, very few people need suffer greatly if they can receive this care - unlike years ago. What we need is more of these people and equal access to top drawer care for everyone when needed. With proper professional care and management it is possible that people can be given the dignity and comfort they should have at the end of their lives. This care should also be made possible at home and not in hospital if that is the person's choice.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

20-06-2011, 08:47 PM

I am probably one of the very few people that don't get Terry Pratchett, his appearance reminds me somewhat of the grim reaper and his books do not fare much better with me either but that is highly likely to be my simple tastes.

When I heard about the programme and I hope this does not sound too crass or insensitive, I confess that I felt as he had proclaimed this was to be his exit strategy he wanted to fan the flames of publicity for that fact.

However, if nothing else the programme highlighted that those who want to choose some form of assisted suicide should be able to do so without having to travel to that very bleak place in Zurich.

There will always have to be very strictly controls on this process and every degree of ambiguity removed.

The palliative care that the hospice movement and other organizations deal with has come on leaps and bounds in recent years and the help is out there but sometimes far too difficult to track down especially when time is short for someone.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2011, 06:41 PM

Yes Hammer I agree, my next door neighbour died a few weeks ago and you wouldnt have wanted your worst enemy to suffer as she did.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2011, 07:15 PM

Excellent post Aerolor.

I agree that the best thing that anyone can do is to put things into place before the event, and to make your wishes known to all that may have a hand in your care when the time comes. My wife and I have made simple living wills, and have entrusted the decision making regarding our care, should the need arise, to our two eldest children.

I can also appreciate the advances in palliative care since my father died, but personally I would still like the option to opt out should I decide to, if my personal dignity was compromised...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top