Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2018, 12:31 PM

Re: Were The Police Right To Punish The Driver On This Occasion?

I can understand why the driver did it. Half the time we ourselves have followed a funeral procession of cars from the church to a crematorium in a strange town where we didn't know our way around or where it was, we worried about being separated by traffic lights. But no way, would we have ever ignored a Red traffic light, regardless.

So yes, the driver deserved a ticket because they could have caused a terrible accident to other innocent drivers.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2018, 01:59 PM

Poor Sod - NSW Road Rules:

"When driving you must not negligently or wilfully interfere with, or interrupt, the free passage along the road of any funeral cortege or authorised procession. You must not interfere with any vehicle or person apparently forming part of the funeral or procession. It is an offence and you will be fined"
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2018, 05:31 PM

I can't help but feel for him to be honest , maybe a moment's panic but at the end of the day he broke the law and could have caused an accident .

Lesson learned I suppose .
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2018, 05:36 PM

broke the law, could have caused a crash, no sympathy at all.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2018, 07:44 PM

It's not that the police are being heavy-handed,nor are they without their own individual moments of pain. However,from personal experience working as an undertaker,I can tell you people VERY often become narky and impatient at following a funeral cortege and will take really silly risks to get past. It would take just ONE youngster on a moped,still on 'L' plates,to pull out as his light turns green...and you can book the hearse for further work. So-take the course,mutter,moan,whinge,learn from your mistake...and next time,if you REALLY don't know the way-don't be last in line! [or at least take a satnav]
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2018, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Pug ->
It's not that the police are being heavy-handed,nor are they without their own individual moments of pain. However,from personal experience working as an undertaker,I can tell you people VERY often become narky and impatient at following a funeral cortege and will take really silly risks to get past. It would take just ONE youngster on a moped,still on 'L' plates,to pull out as his light turns green...and you can book the hearse for further work. So-take the course,mutter,moan,whinge,learn from your mistake...and next time,if you REALLY don't know the way-don't be last in line! [or at least take a satnav]
I think almost every funeral I have ever attended, someone has tried to get in between the cortege. On one occasion a van forced it's way between the front two cars.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2018, 10:23 PM

It was a traffic violation and he deserved to be charged - but I do understand his thinking.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I think almost every funeral I have ever attended, someone has tried to get in between the cortege. On one occasion a van forced it's way between the front two cars.
LD,you really wouldn't believe just how often we [the funeral drivers] were sworn at,given the 'W' wave,overtaken,even had ,as you say, cars pulling in between the cortege vehicles,flashing their headlights in their impatient attempts to get us to move over/accelerate,so forth. Funny how their whole attitude changes when it's THEIR turn....but,c'est la vie.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top