Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 09:37 AM

Re: Cashless Society

Much prefer debit card it's lighter to carry so fits my little bum bag nicely and now they do contactless for lesser amounts easy peasy.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 10:11 AM

If the government can view every transaction then it's a great way to control the population. What about those who do not have a bank account or are homeless?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
If the government can view every transaction then it's a great way to control the population. What about those who do not have a bank account or are homeless?
I have a funny feeling the government aren't interested in my purchases annie, 2 litres of cheapest ice cream last night probably wasn't high on their agenda.

I do agree about the other part of your post although anyone on benefit or working has to have a bank account so it will only be very low numbers that don't have one. What we need to assure is that they can get a basic account freely. At the moment they aren't offering many of those nor is it that easy to open one.
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 10:21 AM

And the government wants to view every transaction because..........?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I have a funny feeling the government aren't interested in my purchases annie, 2 litres of cheapest ice cream last night probably wasn't high on their agenda.

I do agree about the other part of your post although anyone on benefit or working has to have a bank account so it will only be very low numbers that don't have one. What we need to assure is that they can get a basic account freely. At the moment they aren't offering many of those nor is it that easy to open one.
It's a point of principle Julie, the fact that all our movements are tracked is simply not compatible with liberty.

It's not possible for some people to get a bank account. You need a permanent address and ID. So refugees and asylum seekers would automatically be denied one. It's a great way to flush out illegal immigrants. The UK has been using financial transactions as a way of doing this.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

15-11-2018, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by MrFraggle ->
And the government wants to view every transaction because..........?
Tax, residency status, money laundering, etc. They would like to use it for law enforcement. Like a police state would.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

15-11-2018, 10:29 AM

It's a point of principle Julie, the fact that all our movements are tracked is simply not compatible with liberty.

It's not possible for some people to get a bank account. You need a permanent address and ID. So refugees and asylum seekers would automatically be denied one. It's a great way to flush out illegal immigrants. The UK has been using financial transactions as a way of doing this.
Yes as I said it needs to be made easier for them. A bank account should be easy enough to open for everyone. I would have trouble opening one on my own, I know I tried. That can't be right if you work and drive that should be enough IMO.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 12:19 PM

At least if you only carry cash and get mugged that's all they get.....

As Annie has pointed out, using a card leaves a paper trail and the establishment will always know where you are. But using cards might discourage illegal entry into the country which can't be a bad thing.

Down and outs could be issued with temporary cards with small amounts paid in each week by the government. As well as the person been registered, buying things like drugs, alcohol and fags could be restricted..
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 12:32 PM

Hi

No, no and No.

My gearbox oil change cost £160 yesterday, Ford Main Dealer, £400 plus VAT.

I carry dollars when I am abroad , saves me a mint, change them on the street.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

No, no and No.

My gearbox oil change cost £160 yesterday, Ford Main Dealer, £400 plus VAT.

I carry dollars when I am abroad , saves me a mint, change them on the street.
Yes Swim, there is still a very important place for cash...
I never use the main dealers either, right robbing bar stewards...

And the carpet fitter coming on Saturday said 'A bit cheaper for cash!'...

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top