Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 01:14 PM

Re: House Sharing

If I were on my own I would think about it Mollie. My main concern would be whether we would get along well enough and if I could trust someone else. Trust would be the most important thing for me and I think I would need to get to know the person quite well before I went ahead with it. I also think some sort of contract and house rules would be a good idea. I do wonder though if I have become too set in my ways to have anyone else under the same roof. I know I am not the easiest of people to live with. Also, although my children are grown up and don't live with me, I am not sure how they would feel about it. Having said that I watched my mum grow old on her own and often thought she should have had someone of her own age living with her for companionship and company. It would have been a good thing for her because I know she was often quite lonely and she was too independent to come to live with us.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 02:27 PM

I think it's a very hard decision to make Mollie and I have to be bluntly honest with you, while all the advice from the members is sound, in the end it's you who'll have to decide. You could get the nicest person in the World or you could get a serial killer, it's a lottery really letting a stranger into your home to live.
On a lighter note but important in my view, you like your smoke and so do I, we are in the minority now and you may feel uncomfortable lighting up while your paying guest is pulling faces of disapproval at you, just a thought, and good luck girl whatever you decide.
Silver Surfer
Manchester UK
Silver Surfer is female  Silver Surfer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 02:31 PM

If you decide to go ahead contact your local college or university ,they are always looking for student accomodation . Students get quite a lot of holidays so you would get some peace and quiet sometimes as well as company .
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 02:40 PM

I'm with the majority on this as I like my own space too. I don't think I could relax properly knowing someone else was also living in my home.

It is a very hard decision and as Jem said, only you can decide if it's right for you. If you are an outgoing type of person I think it would most likely work better.

Good luck whatever you decide to do, Mollie
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 02:48 PM

Thank you everyone for your replies. I've thought about the trust issue, whether they'd clean up and all the other things that have been mentioned. Like Jemflux said, it would be a lottery, but I do get very lonely in the evenings.

As I work in the afternoons, a day centre isn't viable for me and, Butterfly, thanks for that link you've given. It's certainly very interesting.

I usually go from Friday nights till Monday afternoon with not a soul to talk to, so weekends aren't particularly welcome for me, and I'm glad to get back to work, but that's only for as long as I'm able.

I guess I'll only be able to house-share with someone I already know, if that situation happens.

Thanks again to all who have given common sense advice and thoughts.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 03:39 PM

Mollie some years ago my friend used to board young policemen/women. They were usually reliable and trustworthy .
I think she used to put a card up in the local Police Station offering accommodation .
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 03:43 PM

I usually go from Friday nights till Monday afternoon with not a soul to talk to, so weekends aren't particularly welcome for me, and I'm glad to get back to work, but that's only for as long as I'm able.
Molly if your reason to want to share your house is from the aspect of having a little company you could maybe consider volunteering for something.
There are lots of things to choose from .
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 04:22 PM

Mollie darlin' IF you do decide to rent some of your property, be advised and do it LEGALLY i.e draw up a proper tenancy agreement - do NOT under any circumstances allow people into your home as residents until/unless there is a proper contractual relationship.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 04:47 PM

yes I would sure do that noproblem but get a tennacy agreement
over here they usualy do first last months rent
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 04:49 PM

refrances you should get them also

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top