Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2021, 09:44 PM

Re: Whatever next in discrimination?

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
People are treated differently if they have Afro hairstyles. It used to be banned at schools, still is in some. The main thing is that black people are not tolerated if they grow their natural hair the way we do. I have noticed that black people on work calls often turn their camera off if their hair has grown out and will only reluctantly turn it on. I don't think we can really understand the issue. Unless you have experienced it yourself how can you? There's a societal stigma there and not just in the UK.
Obviously, no one should be banned because of their hair type but perhaps the style is another matter. Schools might ban a large Afro as they might ban a pink Mohican. There is also a stigma regarding ginger people but you never hear them complaining; look at the abuse bald people get.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2021, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I heard this earlier on the news. One of them was complaining that people often ask if they can touch her hair. I see that as someone being genuinely interested rather than being racist. In the end I had to switch the TV off. I think the World has more important things to worry about at the moment.
It's probably more of an issue at the moment when people cannot go to the hairdresser LD. Black hair requires a lot more work. It's really difficult to manage when not braided or kept short. As I understand it they can also get a lot of ingrown hairs. Some black men can really suffer from skin problems when their beard hair grows inwards. It's not a lot of fun and then someone wants to start touching your head too. That's going to be pretty annoying.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2021, 09:48 PM

Obviously, . There is also a stigma regarding ginger people but you never hear them complaining; look at the abuse bald people get.

Fair points there LD....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2021, 09:50 PM

Obviously, no one should be banned because of their hair type but perhaps the style is another matter. Schools might ban a large Afro as they might ban a pink Mohican. There is also a stigma regarding ginger people but you never hear them complaining; look at the abuse bald people get.
There have been campaigns by redheads but not as clickbatable :

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a9470601.html
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2021, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
You have answered my question, I find it insulting, you don’t, hence why we have problems ,we all see things differently....look at that fart thread I started, some were mortified that I said that word, see how different we all are....that’s all I’m trying to say..
I take your point that we all see things differently but black people always bring their colour into it. I'm sure there are plenty of white people with fuzzy hair and they probably suffer equal abuse.

Another item on the news was a black woman complaining that the NHS is racist because black people suffer more deaths giving birth. She said they are not given the correct care and attention, well I would say that applies to a lot of people in hospital because we are so overcrowded. Where will it end?
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2021, 09:54 PM

I take your point that we all see things differently but black people always bring their colour into it. I'm sure there are plenty of white people with fuzzy hair and they probably suffer equal abuse.

Another item on the news was a black woman complaining that the NHS is racist because black people suffer more deaths giving birth. She said they are not given the correct care and attention, well I would say that applies to a lot of people in hospital because we are so overcrowded. Where will it end?

I do actually see your point, many are coming out, because they were silenced for a long time weren’t they.....never had much of a say ,black people, did they?...so I understand where they are also coming from, they have as much right to speak out,as do we.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
There have been campaigns by redheads but not as clickbatable :

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a9470601.html

Good for her. Personally, I absolutely love redheads but if she feels bulllied because of it, then she should create a fuss as others do. Unfortunately, no one will take her seriously, there will be no radio or TV interviews, no newspaper articles and no marches in London.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

There's a lot of hair fascism about in schools. Boys were not allowed to have skinheads when I was at school. They were also not allowed to have long hair in those days. The headmistress used to go around roughly sticking girls hair into a ponytail with a rubber band if it was untidy.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

09-02-2021, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I do actually see your point, many are coming out, because they were silenced for a long time weren’t they.....never had much of a say ,black people, did they?...so I understand where they are also coming from, they have as much right to speak out,as do we.
Yes of course they were and up until BLM, we were doing pretty well intergrating but the more noise they make, the less support they will get.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

09-02-2021, 09:56 PM

Good for her. Personally, I absolutely love redheads but if she feels bulllied because of it, then she should create a fuss as others do. Unfortunately, no one will take her seriously, there will be no radio or TV interviews, no newspaper articles and no marches in London.
There have been and they do it's just not clickbait so not publicised

https://www.businessinsider.com/redh...16-4?r=US&IR=T

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/s...tlands-2094480

https://www.latestly.com/lifestyle/f...r-2125992.html

https://www.elitedaily.com/p/where-i...re-yet-3224672

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top