Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2012, 10:37 PM

Re: Penny Rugs anyone?

My Mum used to make the rag rugs for the kitchen but used to buy the 'posher' Readicut rug kits for the hall and front room. They consisted of a canvas with a coloured pattern on it and packs of cut wool. There were some beautiful patterns to choose from and I loved to helping her make the rugs. I also remember she used to trim the wool after so that all the wool was the same length.

I didn't know you could still buy Readicut kits!
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2012, 01:38 AM

My grannyma and her companion would make peg rugs out of old pieces of blanket, old coats, felt and stuff like that in the half light of gas light back in the 50s when she didn't have electricity. They were quite beautiful but, having no vaccum cleaner they got very dusty so had to be shaken outside every day.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2012, 09:48 AM

I made many of these rag rugs after the war, everybody did.
You got an old hessian sack, and cut it till it was flat, joined more than one together is you wanted a larger one.
When you had completed the rug, we sowed another hessian sack on the back.
They were a very heavy useful mat, when you had nothing.
One big problem with them, they are heavy and very dusty things to have, I regularly had them out on the line to beat the thing till the dust stop coming out.
You certainly couldn't vacuum then, even if you had a vac.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top