Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Dalesman2
lancashire
Dalesman2 is male  Dalesman2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2012, 09:32 AM

Re: The Banks' "Shoddy" treatment of Customers.

If te above line of discussion takes of it may be worthwhile moving it to aa "education thread".

Shame to devalue two good subject if it gets confusing
Jonsey
South western France
Jonsey is male 

30-06-2012, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
With due respect Jonsey, comparing stealing a biro with all that the banks have been up to is patently absurd. Yes, I have taken paper from work but I wouldn't dream of defrauding thousands of people out of thousands of pounds.......nor would you I imagine.
With all due respect to you Alan, I don't think the average "trader" call them what you will, goes to work in the morning thinking he is going to steal millions from investors, I daresay he is thinking more along the lines of where he's going to earn his bonus from etc etc.

I am certainly not condoning their methods either but sorry, you have to put things into perspective, they are a global force, they could bring a country to it's knees, we have witnessed proof of that, such is their power.

What they did was/is terrible and the banks and their employees responsible should be severely punished, but here is the perspective.

Had the person, who was on the "fidddle" in a small enterprise fiddled in a big way, he/she could easily have brought their employers to bankrupcy/ closure / loss of jobs etc etc ----- As the saying goes ---- same meat --different gravy..
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2012, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jonsey ->
With all due respect to you Alan, I don't think the average "trader" call them what you will, goes to work in the morning thinking he is going to steal millions from investors, I daresay he is thinking more along the lines of where he's going to earn his bonus from etc etc.

I am certainly not condoning their methods either but sorry, you have to put things into perspective, they are a global force, they could bring a country to it's knees, we have witnessed proof of that, such is their power.

Aerolor
Exactly - that is why they need firm and effective control. They should be beyond reproach and incorruptable. All their dealings should be transparent and accountable.

What they did was/is terrible and the banks and their employees responsible should be severely punished, but here is the perspective.

Had the person, who was on the "fidddle" in a small enterprise fiddled in a big way, he/she could easily have brought their employers to bankrupcy/ closure / loss of jobs etc etc ----- As the saying goes ---- same meat --different gravy..

I believe it really is a matter of scale of corruption (what is perceived as corruption) and the power the banks have. This is not just one person on the "fiddle" or one company and it is a very big issue. It may turn out that what has been going on is endemic and has been condoned by the Banks and viewed as the MO of their dealers for years. Reading in the papers it could be worth trillions and it can affect all of us - could make our country's debts pale into insignificance.
Bancruptcy/closure/loss of jobs, etc. etc. is a part of it. There has also just been something discovered to do with the major banks mis-selling products to small businesses (not just Barclays). There is plenty of news around on it at the moment and what has been done has caused many smaller businesses to go bankrupt.

I think it is time that the banking systems had a complete overhaul. I believe there is a serious issue of morality with the banks - they appear untouchable and there must be something which can bring them to heel. I don't know how, who or what could take the Banks on - It is probably not possible to do it but this really needs at least looking at on a global scale, particularly if we are to have any hope of sorting this world recession any time soon.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2012, 04:34 PM

Yes thank you Marian, I am going to go to the Cumberland building society which is in the high street, I was going to stay with HSBC but have decided that this is the way to go for meI dont want to do internet banking.If Joe goes first then I can get a Taxi into Haltwhistle do my shopping and banking.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

02-07-2012, 11:55 AM

On the whole we have been happy with our bank with whom we have been for many years.
Jonsey
South western France
Jonsey is male 

03-07-2012, 08:14 AM

Willow,

Same here, in general terms, no complaints, unlke your friendly "Man at the Pru" who tried shafting me two years before I retired, but thats another story.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top