Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
TWHRider
South Eastern U.S.
TWHRider is female  TWHRider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2012, 12:56 PM

Re: Hello!

Originally Posted by Cassie ->
Hello, welcome to the forum Ive ridden all my life but I gave up a few years ago as ive got spondylosis in my spine. I used to show and hunt
Hi, Cassie. So do I -- have spondylosis. X-rays show it's Grade III, which is why the most riding I do these days is a short hack down to the bottom of my road and back.

It's also why my current four horses are "it". As I send each one to meet their ancestors, there's no replacing anyone.

The baby is 17 and has only been with me six years; it was right after I bought him that my back went straight to Hades. The 18, 25, & 26 yr old have been with me 16, 19, and 22 years.

We all know what to expect from each other and when; even the snotface that "accidentally" flicks his tail in my face even though he knows he'll get whapped for that

More than once, I have fallen under any of them while working on hooves and they freeze until I crawl my way out - lollol

It was horribly frustrating to wait all my life to retire with the hopes of spending much of my time riding and then look at those X-rays and know I am lucky to be walking.

I don't want back surgery; I know too many people who have had the surgery I need that still hurt, can't walk without some sort of aid and spent a lot of money and time in some rehab place (called nursing homes around here), to boot.

The chiropractor told me I am being held together with muscle and cartilage. My lower back has somehow fused itself. He said I'd better cautiously keep doing what I'm doing at the barn and outdoors or I will lock up and probably be moving around in a walker.

My MD keeps me supplied with Lidoderm patches and boy do they work. I cut them in half so they last longer - lol On days I have to trim a horse or doing a bunch of stuff outside, I wallpaper my back and hips with them. Between those, the back brace, and Excedrin, I do pretty good once I get moving.

Still-in-all, it's frustrating when I hear my life-long friend and trail riding bud talk about her overnighters. I really tip my hat to her as she is a breast cancer survivor.

I don't know who came up with "these are the Golden Years" hoo-ha but I'd like to whack em in the kneecaps with the muck shovel
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2012, 02:03 PM

I couldn't even get on a horse these days The stairs are hard enough lol and im not keeping a horse just to ride everywhere at a walk, if I cant ride it properly as I used to then I don't want one. I fly my hawks instead and watch my dogs whizz about the fields
My bones havent fused yet but im young to have it. The consultant has spoken about taking bone from my hip and fusing my neck as I get most problems there.. My lower back is bad too and I also have 2 compressed discs.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2012, 09:29 PM

Hello Julie, hope you enjoy the forum
Silver Jill
Earth
Silver Jill is female  Silver Jill has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2012, 12:31 PM

Hi from me too, and I joined this site just 3 days ago! I used to ride and I love horses, and I have always loved all animals from being very young. But, similar to yourself, I can no longer ride, cycle or drive our car due to an accident four years ago, which left my right arm paralyzed. I do enjoy mucking out, feeding and playing with our menagerie of small rescued animals. I also love the great outdoors, and prefer being outdoors to being inside the house, and I only cook for survival! Lol Since joining this site I have uploaded some photo's of our zany zoo to my Profile. Very pleased to meet you here!
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2012, 07:20 PM

Hello Julie and welcome

I too love horses and have done a fair amount of riding and looking after them in my time
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2012, 10:09 AM

Hello Julie, welcome aboard. I'm sure you'll enjoy many happy hours exploring our wonderful forum.
TWHRider
South Eastern U.S.
TWHRider is female  TWHRider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2012, 09:48 PM

Hello Merze, Silver Jill, Berxer, and Alicat

Haven't been on in awhile but I have been keeping up with "things Olympic" on the U.S. "Today" morning program.

Several members of the "Today" team are in England and giving us some pretty fun coverage.

Not sure I'll watch much of the actual Olympics, accept for the horse competitions but we are going to be able to see at least some of the opening ceremonies on Friday. I plan on taping them in case part of that time finds me outside.

Thanks for a warm welcome fellow horse enthusiasts
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2012, 04:29 AM

I am a coward and am frightened of Horses and they know it. I used to go riding as a child but only went because my friend did, every time I went out the horse ran away with me and seems such a long way down to the floor if you fall off, my Granddaughter is a natural on horse back and loves it.My son is like me but his wife is a horse woman and they have been to the Heavy Horse place in the Lakes for days.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2012, 10:52 AM

Hello and welcome to the forum You will find all very friendly here.

Lovely to read your intro! I am terrified of horses but love them!!

Take care
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2012, 11:57 PM

Hiya Julie. Welcome from me as well. I love ALL animals, but my only four claims to fame as regards horses are:

1. My first ride on horseback on an old lad on a pony ride on holiday in Wales.

2. A pony ride on holiday on the Isle of Man and when I got off I had segs on me bum for two days.

3. A ride on a a two-year old called Pedro. He was supposedly "quiet" and we walked up the canal towpath but, then he spotted something, his ears went back, and set off on a mad gallop then, as quickly as he started, he screeched to a halt. I don't know how I stayed on, but I managed, but he would not be reined in.

4. Another ride on a "gentle" mare who decided she wasn't keen on me and reared up and kicked me with a back hoof!

Oh happy days!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top