Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2012, 09:54 AM

Re: Suburbia

I am on the outskirts of a large town but I can walk to woods and fields with the dogs in 5 minutes. I only moved to Watford when I met my late OH though and it is not my sort of place so when I retire I will sell up and move to Norfolk. I like rural but don't want to be isolated in later life as my parents made that mistake and lived to regret it when they were too old to drive. So I am looking for a small town with good public transport or a village near a town again with a good bus service. Being totally rural is fine when you are young but there are pitfalls when you get old and can no longer drive.
mazzie
Scotland
mazzie is female 

18-07-2012, 10:25 AM

I've lived all my life in a small rural village. Its only 10 miles from the nearest town and we have a wonderful bus service...............and of course a bus pass. If I look out my back windows I see hills as far as the eye can see and out my front window, one row of houses and then a huge forest plantation behind them. A river runs through the centre of the village with a riverside walk and I wouldn't live anywhere else. I guess I'm a country girl and couldn't bear the thought of staying in a town, never mind a city. I like to go out my back door in the morning and hear the birds and the odd cow or sheep from the surrounding fields.
TWHRider
South Eastern U.S.
TWHRider is female  TWHRider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2012, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Are you suburban,No

and do you enjoy suburbia,No, no, and NO or do you have rural yearnings, and wish to escape the crowd, or indeed do you live the rural dream.I was raised on a dairy farm. Except for the first year when I left home and got out on my own, I have lived rural my entire life, so that's 46 years.

Is either all it's cracked up to be?
It is for me. It's all a matter of what folks enjoy and what they want to be dedicated to.

We have 22 acres, four horses, six rescued cats, two rescued dogs.

We live on a very remote road that is three miles long and only has 18 houses on it. Our road is so full of steep hills, hairpin curves that end "over the edge" if you're not paying attention, that there is no winter maintanence.

Those that aren't farmers or descendants of same, appreciate the rural "goings-on" of seeing more farm equipment travel the road than cars during the growing season.

We are only 12 miles from either town in separate directions, yet we look like we're a "100 miles from nowhere."

Suits me just fine. Mister is 64 and I am 65. We know the day may come when we can't mend fences, bushhog, take care of a sick horse, replace shingles on a 12-pitch roof the wind blew off, or fix any number of things that might go wrong in a day.

We both do the maintenance of the property and equipment. Mr. TWHRider builds his own race cars so is much much better at serious mechanics than me.

However, my dad taught me well growing up on a poor-man's dairy farm. I know how to turn wrench better than a spatula; that saved my butt during my 14 years of being single, owning a home/property, and fixing everything from a leaky cammode to the fence one of the horses pushed.

There will no doubt come a time when we can't do this anymore; hopefully not until my youngest horse, who is 17, is laid to rest.

We fully enjoy each and every moment of life "on the hill", even this gawrsh-awful humidity of the south because we're from a more northern part of the United States and chose to retire "south of the Mason-Dixon line" due to milder winters.

I wear a cooling vest and neck kerchief wrapped full of ice to do barn chores every day, during this type of weather. Winter's here are barely noticeable for a "Yankee" such as myself but the deeply-rooted southern folks think they will turn into a human popsicle if below-freezing temps last more than a day

I am one of the older Babyboomers that never had a problem "finding myself". I just knew I had to keep working and grabbing overtime in my youth so I could enjoy inhaling the country air and watching the deer cavort with my horses in my retirement

I was going to post "The View From Our Front Porch" but, wouldn't you know, Photobucket is down for maintenance
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2012, 03:30 PM

I am a country girl to the core and could never live in suburbia.
If it was a choice between a luxury house in a town and a bare hovel in the country I would choose the latter
My door opens onto a no-through-lane which goes into the fields.
The lane in winter..

When I was in my teens I once had to stay in London for a week and couldn't stand it, I felt I couldn't breath.

The biggest drawback is the sheep which escape from the field and eat the plants in my front garden.

The nearest shop is only 2 miles away so I am not really isolated .With the exception of food shopping it wouldn't bother me if I never set foot in a shop again.
mazzie
Scotland
mazzie is female 

18-07-2012, 03:32 PM

Sounds like a very interesting and idyllic lifestyle TWHRyder.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2012, 04:22 PM

I live most of the time up on the North Coast of Scotland on my Partners Family's Farm. It's right out in the Wilds and I love it. If I go down South a bit to my own Home (as i do several times a year) then I'm on the outskirts of a small Town. I even find that too crowded and much prefer the Wide open Spaces of up North.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2012, 05:04 PM

I'm a definite townie, take-aways a 'phone call away, pubs (note plural) within a few minutes walk, theatres and cinemas a short bus ride away (public transport runs until well beyond 23.00 and I have a choice of 3 bus routes. Shops and supermarkets aplenty.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2012, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
If it was a choice between a luxury house in a town and a bare hovel in the country I would choose the latter
The lane in winter..

When I was in my teens I once had to stay in London for a week and couldn't stand it, I felt I couldn't breath.

The biggest drawback is the sheep which escape from the field and eat the plants in my front garden.

The nearest shop is only 2 miles away so I am not really isolated .With the exception of food shopping it wouldn't bother me if I never set foot in a shop again.
Pretty much how I feel. I could not live in town or city as I need the space, peace and privacy that the country offers. But I am only 3 miles from the nearest town. Nearest decent supermarket is unfortunately an hour's drive away, but I go there once in 4-6 weeks for staples/non-perishables and can get the rest of what I need locally.

Last time I was in London was nearly 20 years ago, when I went to a three day course. By day two I was stir-crazy and desperate to get out!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2012, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
The lane in winter..

Meg darlin' any live sheep come into my domain very quickly (depending on age) become either lamb chops or mutton stew!!!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2012, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Meg darlin' any live sheep come into my domain very quickly (depending on age) become either lamb chops or mutton stew!!!
Uj you would have to catch them first
..not easy, they can be slippery customers...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top