Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2012, 03:16 PM

Re: Call Me Silly ... But

Aw thanks guys ... do you know it's nice to hear other peeps who also have a care and concern for natures little beasties.
I tried to do right by him and that's why I buried him in the garden where he used to play with all the cones that fell down from the pine tree. I just couldn't stand the thought of just leaving him lying in the road ... or worse, putting him in the bin.
Doubtless another squirrel will come along. I've had a few over the years. One with a bent, damaged tail (he lived up at the top of the tree for years after limping injured into the garden one day) ... and then there was one with only one eye.

Funny though ... has anyone noticed that once you start putting out food, aside from the regular healthy visitors you always attract an old or injured animal aswell? It's almost like they know they've found a little Eden and move in to stay permanently.

Gawd .. I could never work with animals ... I'd spend half my life blubbering when they passed on.
But I love them. They're what gives life its more magical moments.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2012, 03:32 PM

Greys are a pain in the rear in my garden..they dig holes in my lawn, dig up my seedlings, scrape out the plants in my hanging baskets, bury stuff and then can't find it, so dig up all around. They take eggs from nests and will eat the entire supply of food from the bird table. And they don't hibernate either.......having said all that, it is a shame to see any creature killed.
I'm glad you gave it a decent burial, most people just walk on by.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2012, 03:50 PM

This is one of the awful parts of living near the A69... road kill,not just small animals but fairly large ones, there is usually lots of Badgers and loads of Rabbits and the occasional deer and Pheasants galore, I ride to Hexham in the car with my eyes closed, and if we go the other way to Carlisle its the sheep i worry about in the rain, are they cold will they get wet thru or does the oil in their coats protect them and lambing time is a no go.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2012, 09:16 AM

Deer, pheasants, rabbits (road kill)??? - Fabulous!!! - free food!!! - providing its fresh can make lots of tasty meals with that.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2012, 12:01 AM

There used to be a whole family of grey squirrels in the oak tree opposite my house, they liked to bury acorns in my front lawn .
I loved watching the babies, then the whole lot suddenly disappeared . A neighbour said that they had probably been wiped out by a virus .

I know they are classed as vermin but I find them very sweet.

When I was walking Chloe one morning there was a terrible noise coming from the hedge and a squirrel shot out and dashed across the field pausing every now and then to stand on two legs and look behind him. It looked so funny .
I guessed he has gone onto the territory of other squirrels and had been involved in a fight and chased off. He was looking behind to see if he was being followed..
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2012, 06:23 AM

I like both grey and reds, we have reds up here or have had but havent seen them now for a while. There were greys in Stanley parkin Blackpool and I liked them. I have a little fella comes here for the bird food, a field mouse, he is lovely, has a family under a low growing bush..

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top