Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2012, 06:31 PM

Re: Who should be entitled to vote?

Originally Posted by Erinaceous ->
I disagree with universal suffrage.

In my opinion certain categories of people should not be entitled to vote especially in General elections.

I would debar everyone who had been unemployed for a period of twelve months or longer.

I would debar everybody who did not pay income tax.

I would debar all first generation immigrants.

I would debar anyone who is in jail or who's offence is not yet “spent” within the meaning defined and detailed in the Rehabilitation of Offenders act 1974.

And I would abolish “postal votes”, the loss there would be more than offset by the prevention of corruption as has been seen ion recent elections.

My reasoning?

Essentially to support the principle of no representation without taxation, and to take out of the electorate those who might have interests that are at odds with the tax paying public because it's the taxes paid by those in employment that pay the “benefits” to those not in employment.

Any arguments based on paying VAT and council taxes etc. are specious because those taxes come directly from “benefits” which in turn come from tax payers in work.

Won't ever happen of course because politicians are too frit to do what is right if it stands a chance of them loosing their jobs.
Usual load of old cobblers, utter rubbish.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2012, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
Usual load of old cobblers, utter rubbish.
I thinks he spends most of his time trawling Wikipedia and Googling
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2012, 05:03 PM

What a plonker!... who said that!!!
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2012, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
What a plonker!... who said that!!!
Del Boy in Only Fools and Horses, think he was talking about Rodney but perhaps he'd met Ernie Nascious
Don't forget to vote on SCD think it's on tonight.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2012, 07:22 AM

I disagree with universal suffrage.

In my opinion certain categories of people should not be entitled to vote especially in General elections.

I would debar everyone who had been unemployed for a period of twelve months or longer.

I would debar everybody who did not pay income tax.

I would debar all first generation immigrants.

I would debar anyone who is in jail or who's offence is not yet “spent” within the meaning defined and detailed in the Rehabilitation of Offenders act 1974.

And I would abolish “postal votes”, the loss there would be more than offset by the prevention of corruption as has been seen ion recent elections.

My reasoning?

Essentially to support the principle of no representation without taxation, and to take out of the electorate those who might have interests that are at odds with the tax paying public because it's the taxes paid by those in employment that pay the “benefits” to those not in employment.

Any arguments based on paying VAT and council taxes etc. are specious because those taxes come directly from “benefits” which in turn come from tax payers in work.

Won't ever happen of course because politicians are too frit to do what is right if it stands a chance of them loosing their jobs.
There's me thinking all the nutters were locked up.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2012, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
Daft begger most of them are in politics
Erinaceous
East Anglia
Erinaceous is male  Erinaceous has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2012, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
Instead of descending to "argumentum ad hominem" why not offer your views on the matter of who should or should not be entitled to vote in the election of people into various posts in local and central government?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2012, 09:17 PM

I don't see much wrong with things remaining as they are as far as who is eligible to vote is concerned.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2012, 11:32 PM

It should stay as it is, there's only about 50% of the registered voters who bother to vote now. some people can't be bothered.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2012, 07:18 AM

Instead of descending to "argumentum ad hominem" why not offer your views on the matter of who should or should not be entitled to vote in the election of people into various posts in local and central government?
argumentum ad hominem" Your post was just asking for a character assassination.

All the Prisoners should not get a vote but the rest is perfectly alright for us normal people.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top