Join for free
Page 20 of 50 « First < 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2019, 04:14 PM

Re: Greta Thunberg ... again

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
The girl is pressing home the effect that people who could at least take this matter seriously and set in motion what needs to be done by presenting it as to the consequences of inaction on her and future generations.

The conclusive evidence of what is happening and the why it is happing is screamingly obvious except to those who won't even look and instead deny the facts.

There's an interesting article on the Psychology Today site (psychologytoday.com) on the The Dunning-Kruger effect. It's worth reading, at least in my opinion that is.
I think over all, people are taking it seriously, a lot of changes have been made long before she came along on her electric bandwagon.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2019, 04:37 PM

It isn't as if we are doing nothing. We are doing a lot of things.
At this moment in time, the UK National Grid is taking zero input from coal fired power stations. Drax, our largest is now mostly using bio fuels.

Norway is about 95% hydro. China has the Three Gorges dam. It's capacity is about five times that of Drax. Then there is the Itaipu Dam. The isle of Islay had a wave power generator station.

Vehicle emissions have been reduced. Electrical kit is generally more efficient.

So we are doing things, probably things that Greta doesn't know about.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2019, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by besoeker ->
it isn't as if we are doing nothing. We are doing a lot of things.
At this moment in time, the uk national grid is taking zero input from coal fired power stations. Drax, our largest is now mostly using bio fuels.

Norway is about 95% hydro. China has the three gorges dam. It's capacity is about five times that of drax. Then there is the itaipu dam. The isle of islay had a wave power generator station.

Vehicle emissions have been reduced. Electrical kit is generally more efficient.

So we are doing things, probably things that greta doesn't know about.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2019, 04:44 PM

I am going to get clonked for this, but I am sick to death of awareness movements that really don't do anything but incline the advocates (not "activists" which is an oft-used misnomer for people who are truly exacting change) to pat themselves on the back and never really do anything helpful.

As OGF and others have said, why is it that people think that entrepreneurs, scientists, companies, and governments aren't trying?

It's been well-observed here that the problems of resources, along with nitrogen and carbon fixation have more to do with population than anything else. We are headed to nine billion by 2050. If you have a dinner party and two hundred people show up, you are going to run out of everything and sooner or later, some nasty arguments will ensue.

The answer, as it has been mentioned, is birth control, which should be given out like candy in every country on the planet. That's simply the most elegant, humane, and economic solution to anthropogenic climate change.

Climate change, however is not anywhere the biggest problem. What we should be working against are the horrors of a planet with 14 billion people in which wars, famines, and mass die-offs from disease will cull the numbers.

As for Greta, good for her for finding her voice. It can't do any harm, but I doubt all this will do much good (see above). People with Aspergers are often extremely bright and bring new paradigms to old problems. However, I am likewise concerned and hope she is getting medical support. Her meteoric fame could be very debilitating in the long run. I too think fear that she being used an manipulated - and may face personal, hurtful backlash for which she will be ill-prepared.

I expect that the story of man will very short-lived on the environmental scale having used up resources and causing this massive 6th Extinction period. Either we curb our numbers through birth control or nature will. Nature never tolerates imbalance and could care less about the protests of man.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2019, 08:08 PM

Who organises Greta's wardrobe......

d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2019, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Who organises Greta's wardrobe......

Ok she's 16 trying to look 12.

She's scary,

She's an asset. I'm pleased we have her, she's harmless, you wimps.

Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2019, 09:14 PM

She reminds me of someone

Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2019, 10:27 PM

I think these pictures are pathetic .
FGS this is a 16 year old girl .
One would image a bit of sagacity would come with age !
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2019, 10:54 PM

Or even a sense of humour
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2019, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Or even a sense of humour
Sadly lacking by some posters on here.

Page 20 of 50 « First < 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top