Join for free
Page 21 of 33 « First < 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 > Last »
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2013, 10:42 AM

Re: Margret Thatcher

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Cate darlin' - that's far too simplistic. Some of us have cause to know Thatcher (phth, phth,phth) much better than you do and the policies she pursued led to the destruction of much of our manufacturing industries, causing huge unemployment (it was over 3 million on several occasions). Her vitriolic attack on the Trade Union movement and demonising of anyone who opposed her, not just Arthur Scargill (the Miners leader). She privatised and then sold off all the public utilities (which is why we are now in trouble with power and water supplies).
And yet Harold Wilson closed more pits than Thatcher did - why isn't that mentioned? http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode..._6_Episode_14/ watch from 10.53 minutes. In this article, scroll down to Dr John Cameron's post http://www.scotsman.com/news/letters...ders-1-2894864 - there are many links online to this fact. British industry simply priced itself out of being competitive and the largest payout any employer has is wages and that is what drives prices up so that employers can meet overheads. I know you're going to mention fat cats but most businesses (I owned one) do not run for the sole benefit of shareholders - they are run to earn an income for all concerned.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2013, 10:54 AM

Back in the day I remember a very true saying where there is muck there's brass and the cleaning industry paid very good wages. I could earn more per hour at one time than someone working in a shop could earn in a day. It was £12 to £15 an hour for office cleaning and anyone doing dirtier jobs could almost have written their own cheques.

NMW stopped that and now £6.19 an hour is a normal rate.

As a cleaner I mourn those days passing but with my head on straight I can see that wasn't sustainable.

What is sad is NMW is not enough to live on really and we should be looking at it rising to lift people out of the trap of having to claim top up benefits (stupidest idea ever IMO).
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2013, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
No business owner will deliberately strangle their own business - what would be the point. Wages/salaries grew beyond proportion. Everyone is entitled to earn a good income and I remember my first husband, he worked at Leyland, earning £120pw and we thought we were rich! Compared to many we knew, we were but with hindsight, that was a heck of a wage for unskilled labour. Then those who are skilled will want their pay adjusted so that unskilled labour isn't paid more than they are - so on and so on. The end result leads to inflation which is exactly what happened under the previous government. It isn't possible to have higher pay without higher prices - businesses would go bankrupt. Oh hang on - they did.

Perhaps you'd care to explain then Karen the fact that under MT (phth, phth, phth) inflation was over 27%
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2013, 11:06 AM

Errr Julie, it was Thatcher (phth, phth, phth) who signed the 'Single Market' Treaty. Before that, every piece of legislation which emanated from Brussels, had to ratified by our own Parliament. After she signed that treaty, all European legislation was automatically deemed to be incorporated into our domestic legislation.

Still say she kept Europe at bay???

And whilst you seem to be anti trade-union, might I remind you that it was the WORKERS (and their Trade Unions) who, (a) brought about and were responsible for much of the rights we all now enjoy and (b) created the wealth that the country had (and still has) in the first place.
Yes, she did. Labour is responsible for you being owned by Europe: http://www.heritage.org/research/rep...ns-sovereignty - pay particular attention to this bit: 'The next Prime Minister, if Brown is replaced, should heed the words of Lady Thatcher, who wrote in her seminal book Statecraft: "That such an unnecessary and irrational project as building a European superstate was ever embarked upon will seem in future years to be perhaps the greatest folly of the modern era."[4] The Iron Lady's instincts are right: Common sense must prevail, and the British people should have the freedom to reject an Orwellian vision of Europe's future in favor of the principles of sovereignty and freedom.'

Another reason for Britain's proverty and inability to weather the financial collapse is this little incident - also Labour's fault: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...rown-told.html

With Labour is in power, it often leaves Britain on the brink of collapse. How you can defend them is a complete mystery to me - they do this nearly every time. They simply buy the patriotism of the British in a way that they can't sustain, hence the ridiculous selling frenzies they go through to support the bribes.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

15-04-2013, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I wholeheartedly agree with you Julie and I was the union secretary at my place of work for a few years. I am as much against irresposible trade unionism as I am against irresponsible management. In an ideal world both sides should work together for the common good. Maggie was right to rein in the trade unions but wrong to encourage the greed which now pervades the upper echelons of power. Unless something is done about that we may yet again see the strikes that once were the ruin of our country.
The ethos of moving some utility companies into the private sector should work. Could anyone have foreseen just how greedy shareholders would become? From what I understand, those that ran the companies (back in those days) had little concept of the real costs of running an industry as government gave them the money - the whole point of privatisation was to make them responsible for the costs and to stop the costs from escalating. As I've said - this is basic capitalism and it should work; until greedy people turn it on its head.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

15-04-2013, 11:13 AM

Perhaps you'd care to explain then Karen the fact that under MT (phth, phth, phth) inflation was over 27%
Inflation can be used as a tool to correct market forces Uncle Joe - I would have thought you'd know that
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

15-04-2013, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Back in the day I remember a very true saying where there is muck there's brass and the cleaning industry paid very good wages. I could earn more per hour at one time than someone working in a shop could earn in a day. It was £12 to £15 an hour for office cleaning and anyone doing dirtier jobs could almost have written their own cheques.

NMW stopped that and now £6.19 an hour is a normal rate.

As a cleaner I mourn those days passing but with my head on straight I can see that wasn't sustainable.

What is sad is NMW is not enough to live on really and we should be looking at it rising to lift people out of the trap of having to claim top up benefits (stupidest idea ever IMO).
That's another thing that irritates me: how Labour take credit for introducing the minimum wage and yet it was forced on Britain at that time and Labour did their best to prevent it - good old Gordon eh.
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2013, 11:55 AM

Inflation peeked at 25% in 1975.

Thatcher inherited some of the worst economic statistics of postwar Britain. The nation was still feeling the effects of the endless strikes during the recent Winter of Discontent. Inflation stood at 10.3% in May 1979. 1,500,000 were unemployed – a increase of 50% in five years.

Thatcher's monetarist and deflationary economic policies saw a cut in the inflation rate from from a high of 22% in May 1980 to just over 13% by January 1981, and by June 1983 it had fallen to a 15-year low of 4.9%.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2013, 12:16 PM

That was then this is now :

http://www.ukip.org/content/ukip-policies
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2013, 12:39 PM

Why is the pro and anti argument all centred around numbers, no one seems bothered about the social impact of political change.

Page 21 of 33 « First < 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top