Join for free
Page 22 of 29 « First < 12 20 21 22 23 24 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2019, 11:38 PM

Re: Benefits of EU membership?

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Is your dutch as good as my english?
Good counter. On the rare occasion that people complain about one of my friend's English I tell them to speak to her in Mandarin or Bahasa both of which she speaks perfectly. They rarely comment after that.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2019, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Good counter. On the rare occasion that people complain about one of my friend's English I tell them to speak to her in Mandarin or Bahasa both of which she speaks perfectly. They rarely comment after that.

Not really Bruce, if the Dutch didn't learn English they could only communicate with Afrikaners, and who would want to do that?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2019, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Not really Bruce, if the Dutch didn't learn English they could only communicate with Afrikaners, and who would want to do that?
During apartheid the country was called south africa. Afterwards zuid afrika.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
That may be true but more people speak Madarin as a first language than English. It is noticeable in SE Asia that those involved in the tourist trade are now as likely to speak Chinese as English and in places like Vietnam more likely.

I can't produce evidence for that but that is my observation. Travelling all over SE Asia with a Chinese speaker showed that they were more likely to be understood than me.

There are 300000 Dutch speakers in Australia not to mention that the country was discovered by the Dutch long before Capt Cook turned up.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
That may be true but more people speak Madarin as a first language than English. It is noticeable in SE Asia that those involved in the tourist trade are now as likely to speak Chinese as English and in places like Vietnam more likely.

I can't produce evidence for that but that is my observation. Travelling all over SE Asia with a Chinese speaker showed that they were more likely to be understood than me.

There are 300000 Dutch speakers in Australia not to mention that the country was discovered by the Dutch long before Capt Cook turned up.
There are worldwide 1,4 billion chinese, speaking chinese. That's more than any other language in the world.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

06-02-2019, 05:29 AM

There are worldwide 1,4 billion chinese, speaking chinese. That's more than any other language in the world.
That's what I thought.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 06:58 AM

Hi

Define Chinese, Mandarin or Cantonese?

Guy is fluent in Mandarin, fairly good in Cantonese.

We are different, my Mandarin is very Basic.

Enough to get me a train ticket from A to B.

My Cantonese is enough for daily life.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

06-02-2019, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Define Chinese, Mandarin or Cantonese?

Guy is fluent in Mandarin, fairly good in Cantonese.

We are different, my Mandarin is very Basic.

Enough to get me a train ticket from A to B.

My Cantonese is enough for daily life.
For the types like bread and marmalade it don't matter. For him dutch and afrikaans is the same.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 12:43 PM

For the types like bread and marmalade it don't matter. For him dutch and afrikaans is the same.

English is the international language of the world, why do you think UK universities are so popular ?

We make a fortune out of people like you
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

06-02-2019, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
English is the international language of the world, why do you think UK universities are so popular ?

We make a fortune out of people like you
You might have found that out already. The EU's negotiators on the brexit deal studied business in london.

Page 22 of 29 « First < 12 20 21 22 23 24 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top