Join for free
Page 24 of 25 « First < 14 22 23 24 25 >
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2020, 07:24 PM

Re: Barnier Issues Ultimatum!

Originally Posted by JBR ->
These are excellent measures and I'm really glad that the government thought to introduce them. I really do hope that they stick to their word.

I'm not sure about it upsetting our own fishermen, though, as they take comparatively little from our waters compared especially to the Frogs and Cloggies.

Presumably, if any foreign boats are found not to have the necessary REM equipment, or have turned them off, they can be arrested and taken to one of our ports for legal actions.

I did read somewhere (though I can't remember now where it was) that Boris has begun to put in place more fishery protection boats, possibly supported by the RN.

We have been bullied by the EU for 40 years. Enough is enough.
I think this is very apropos...

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201210_103743.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	14271  
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2020, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Don't tell Percy but the quality of Neff, Siemens and Miele has been in decline for years.
They aren't as good as they used to be ........ in fact those who watch BakeOff have probably seen where the Neff oven door fell off.

But you're right; most of the rest is indeed crap, made to a price and not to a quality.
And worse, most of the white goods are made by just a handful of companies no matter what brand is pasted on it.
A Zanussi cooker is made in exactly the same factory as an AEG or a Tricity Bendix or, as you say, an Electrolux.
Indesit makes NewWorld, Hotpoint, Creda and more, then Hoover makes Candy and Kelvinator & others.

The quality is invariably poor which I suppose is how, just as with cars, the South Koreans and others are able to make such highly-regarded competitors in many areas like washing machines and refrigeration.

Not a "dig" Percy, you enjoy the new stuff.
I'd be very interested to learn exactly which manufacturers are worth spending money on these days.

Percy mentions Bosch, but are they still German?

We're thinking of ditching our fridge-freezer and replacing it with a larger American-type one. We used to have a Samsung one years ago which was really good and reliable. I'm hoping that they are still as good.

And haven't been taken over by the Italians!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2020, 07:56 PM

Heh heh heh, it looks like sensible people know only too well how things are likely to go.

Here's a report in The Telegraph:
"The EU's reported ban on British travellers from January 1 is unlikely to deter individual countries in Europe from allowing UK visitors to enter regardless, according to industry experts' response to the news."
"Paul Charles, CEO of travel consultancy The PC Agency, tells us: “I cannot believe that EU countries who rely on the spending power of UK business and leisure travellers will seek to block entry after January 1. I’m sure that individual countries who need UK tourism will be sensible and override any EU-bloc decision which prevents entry."
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...tests-vaccine/

Yup, it's the money that talks - as always.
This will be just the same for much of the goods that EU companies sell to us- one way or another they will do everything they can to keep hold of that business rather than lose it.
Good news. We might still be able to get a new Golf after all!
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2020, 08:50 PM

I'd be very interested to learn exactly which manufacturers are worth spending money on these days.

We're thinking of ditching our fridge-freezer and replacing it with a larger American-type one. We used to have a Samsung one years ago which was really good and reliable. I'm hoping that they are still as good.

It depends what of Bosch you buy, for example some washing machines are made in Spain.

Samsung are good but LG is also Korean and are supposed to be very good.

ETA what to buy?
I will be quite honest - and not being anti-German honestly but it is very, VERY difficult.
German-made really is not what it was quality-wise because of competition, and they are already almost pricing themselves out of the market in many areas.
I will give you one example, with washing machines.

The cheapest decent Miele with a full 10-year guarantee will cost you around £1500.
In those 10 years you could buy a £200 Beko for £200 and - honestly - if it only lasts two years you've been unlucky.
But say 2 years so you buy 5, that's only £1000 over 10 years AND every time you buy another you're getting newer and more-efficient technology as a bonus; much can change in ten years.

Will the quality of the wash be any different?
Research says not.
And over the years even with care the heating element on a ten-year-old washer is not going to be anywhere near as efficient as a newer model.
(That's why we now have a £250 Candy that is good & works out far cheaper than the £1k+ German-made AEG we used to have some years ago.)
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2020, 09:14 PM

Good news. We might still be able to get a new Golf after all!
I hope you get what you want but if I were you (as I have suggested before) I would hang on for a while to see what happens with prices before to take the plunge.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

10-12-2020, 09:28 PM

It depends what of Bosch you buy, for example some washing machines are made in Spain.

Samsung are good but LG is also Korean and are supposed to be very good.

ETA what to buy?
I will be quite honest - and not being anti-German honestly but it is very, VERY difficult.
German-made really is not what it was quality-wise because of competition, and they are already almost pricing themselves out of the market in many areas.
I will give you one example, with washing machines.

The cheapest decent Miele with a full 10-year guarantee will cost you around £1500.
In those 10 years you could buy a £200 Beko for £200 and - honestly - if it only lasts two years you've been unlucky.
But say 2 years so you buy 5, that's only £1000 over 10 years AND every time you buy another you're getting newer and more-efficient technology as a bonus; much can change in ten years.

Will the quality of the wash be any different?
Research says not.
And over the years even with care the heating element on a ten-year-old washer is not going to be anywhere near as efficient as a newer model.
(That's why we now have a £250 Candy that is good & works out far cheaper than the £1k+ German-made AEG we used to have some years ago.)
Samsung it is, then. When the time comes! We'll have to save up.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

10-12-2020, 09:44 PM

I hope you get what you want but if I were you (as I have suggested before) I would hang on for a while to see what happens with prices before to take the plunge.
Yes, there is a good chance that we'll wait.

Several things could happen.

The Germans could decide that they really can't afford to put people off buying their cars, so reduce the prices either to accommodate the tariffs or perhaps nearly so.

They could hold out and try to weather the storm, but give in after several months, in which case we'd probably wait until they did lower their prices. We're not that desperate, and would just have to have an MoT or maybe another a year later.

They could decide not to bother with the UK and lose a great deal of custom - and money - and refuse to lower prices at all. If so, we'd certainly look at what's on offer from the Far East. I'm sure there are some really good cars there. We looked at a Mazda 3, an excellent car in most respects, but I'm afraid that the rear window was quite poor for visibility behind.

It's also possible that there may be something good enough produced here, but if owned by EU companies, they also may have tariffs; I'm not absolutely sure about that.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2020, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I think this is very apropos...
Where did you get that Juddy !!
Spot on !!

Donkeyman! 👍😁👍
Zaphod
Lincs UK

11-12-2020, 11:44 AM

It looks as if the EU are beginning to realize that the UK isn't scared of walking!
Not that it will make any difference to the bar stools of course.

"Britain is now more likely to leave the European Union’s orbit on Dec. 31 without a trade deal than with an agreement, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen told the bloc’s 27 national leaders on Friday, an EU official said."
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-br...-idUKKBN28L0NX
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2020, 11:57 AM

All the makes mentioned are actually made in china under some
form of licence and sent back to europe for sale !!
If you read the instruction books you will often find them highly
amusing due to the translation ?? But l believe this has improved
recently??
So all is not what it seems ? Regarding the quality of the items?
That is mostly down to what they call "planned obsolescence",
to encourage us to buy a new machine every three to four years in
order to keep the factories busy!!

Donkeyman! 👎😟😟👎

Page 24 of 25 « First < 14 22 23 24 25 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top