Join for free
Page 28 of 33 « First < 18 26 27 28 29 30 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2020, 05:26 PM

Re: What is it - Mystery Object challenge.

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
No, it's rigid and made from a very hard steel.
It looks like it could be inserted into a slot of some sort and used as a lever to turn something.
Am I on the right track?
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2020, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Oh, are you from God's County too?

You went on a school visit down the pit? You're lucky. The only one in England now where you can do that is at the National Coal Mining Museum at Caphouse Colliery near Wakefield, although that's no longer a working mine.

Where I used to help out at Astley Green, there was plenty to see but no way to go down the pit as it's completely flooded and capped off now.
I'm originally from Moonraker country, but made my permanent home in the Land of the Summer Settlers many decades ago when I started a-courting my Lovely Cousin.

I used to live on the outskirts of dear old Donny and attended Danum Grammar that was previously known as Doncaster Technical Grammar. School visits were of a technical nature as a result and included the Appleby-Frodingham steelworks near Scun thorpe, and one of the local coalmines, Rossington Main.

I took the family down Big Pit in Wales when our kids were young, which was interesting. I thought it was still open until the pandemic hit.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2020, 07:40 PM

It looks like it could be inserted into a slot of some sort and used as a lever to turn something.
Am I on the right track?
No, it is not a lever.

It has longitudinal and lateral grooves on all four faces of each end.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2020, 07:41 PM

I'm originally from Moonraker country
That prompted me to look up why they call people from there 'moonrakers':

Moonrakers A nickname of Wiltshire folk; also of simpletons. From the story that Wiltshire yokels, with typical country guile,when raking a pond for kegs of smuggled brandy, feigned stupidity when surprised by the excise men, and said they were trying to rake out the moon, which was reflected in the water.

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

17-07-2020, 07:42 PM

No, it is not a lever.

It has longitudinal and lateral grooves on all four faces of each end.
How about a file then?

(I'll shut up now until others have had a chance.)
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera

17-07-2020, 07:56 PM

How about a file then?

(I'll shut up now until others have had a chance.)
Yes, but a very specific type of file.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera

17-07-2020, 07:57 PM

That prompted me to look up why they call people from there 'moonrakers':

Moonrakers A nickname of Wiltshire folk; also of simpletons. From the story that Wiltshire yokels, with typical country guile,when raking a pond for kegs of smuggled brandy, feigned stupidity when surprised by the excise men, and said they were trying to rake out the moon, which was reflected in the water.

Spot on.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

19-07-2020, 11:57 AM

I'm afraid that no-one else seems to be interested at the moment, so if you don't mind I'll keep guessing.

It looks narrow enough to be used in order to file within a small hole to enlarge it, though I'm not sure specifically which sort of holes.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2020, 12:55 PM

Yes, but a very specific type of file.
For filing elephants toenails or teeth?
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera

19-07-2020, 04:39 PM

I'm afraid that no-one else seems to be interested at the moment, so if you don't mind I'll keep guessing.

It looks narrow enough to be used in order to file within a small hole to enlarge it, though I'm not sure specifically which sort of holes.
It could be used for enlarging a hole at a pinch, but that is not its main purpose.

It has a number stamped into the metal at each end of the plain section on all four sides, so eight numbers in all. Some numbers are odd and some are even.
No two numbers are the same.

It is a double ended file but has no handle.

Page 28 of 33 « First < 18 26 27 28 29 30 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top