Join for free
Page 29 of 45 « First < 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 > Last »
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2021, 12:03 PM

Re: The Vindictive Nastiness if the EU

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Boris promised an Australian type deal (or "not deal") at the time. This would have been infinitely better than the one we have now.
It's very easy to say what would have been better. The consequences of what is, are much harder to deny than those of what would.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2021, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
It's very easy to say what would have been better. The consequences of what is, are much harder to deny than those of what would.
It would have been better, we would be dealing with the EU the same as the USA which is a much bigger market for us anyway.

Having one way tarrifs, the sell out of our fisheries and detachment of Northen Ireland, breaking the GFA and UK law is not a good starting point.

Financially, currency fluctuations have much bigger influence on import costs than tarrifs ever have.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2021, 12:15 PM

It would have been better, we would be dealing with the EU the same as the USA
There you go again.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2021, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
There you go again.

What's wrong with that then ?

We didn't have any trade deal with the USA as an EU member but it was a bigger market for us.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2021, 12:30 PM

What's wrong with that then ?

We didn't have any trade deal with the USA as an EU member but it was a bigger market for us.
I think that if Trump was still running the show, we'd have a much better chance of making trade deals with America.

Trump was more pro-British than Biden, who seems to have a hatred of the UK. Something to do with Ireland, I think.

I think when the Americans realise their mistake, changes will be made.
Harbal
South Yorkshire

11-04-2021, 12:31 PM

Well, according to the figures I have very quickly researched, our exports to the USA were about 15% last year, whereas those to the EU were about 50%, so I can't really see how you've arrived at that conclusion.
Harbal
South Yorkshire

11-04-2021, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I think that if Trump was still running the show, we'd have a much better chance of making trade deals with America.
And an even bigger chance of being taken to the cleaner's. It's not a good idea to depend on making deals with a man whose "success" is built on cheating.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2021, 12:56 PM

It would have been better, we would be dealing with the EU the same as the USA which is a much bigger market for us anyway.

Having one way tarrifs, the sell out of our fisheries and detachment of Northen Ireland, breaking the GFA and UK law is not a good starting point.

Financially, currency fluctuations have much bigger influence on import costs than tarrifs ever have.
Large companies hedge against currency fluctuations but can do nothing about tariffs
Germany
7779311 is male  7779311 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2021, 01:31 PM

Yes, but they rely on British custom to survive.
Hm, maybe. I do not care. Still, they cannot be trusted because they are EU, right?
Germany
7779311 is male  7779311 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2021, 01:36 PM

Perhaps I didn't explain myself well enough.
The EU are attempting to hold us back from what we want to do. For example, the Covid vaccines we funded being produced in the Low Countries are being held back from being sent to us. Your friends, the Frogs, are desperately trying to persuade us to finance their Channel Tunnel railway which is no longer of any financial concern to us.
I could go on about fisheries, etc., though of course much of our problems are at least partly due to Boris apparently working WITH the EU.
Thank you for the details and please forgive me, if I ask the same again: you mentioned in your post #257 as an example that the EU attempts the UK from succeeding in trade deals. Now you are giving different examples.
My specific interest is *how* does the EU attempt to sabotage your success concerning trade agreements?

By the way, I did not know that the French were my friends, but okay. How does begging the UK for financial support of the tunnel (if that should be true) stop the UK in succeeding? I fail to see that.

Page 29 of 45 « First < 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top