Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2014, 01:07 PM

Re: Sex Matters (A Serious Discussion)

3 selves.

Public self, for all.

Private self, for only those close to you.

Secret self, nobody's business but yours.

I do sometimes wonder at what people are prepared to talk openly about in a forum, are they naive or just open. cant say i would talk about sexual matters, i would see it as a betrayal in trust.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2014, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
3 selves.

Public self, for all.

Private self, for only those close to you.

Secret self, nobody's business but yours.

I do sometimes wonder at what people are prepared to talk openly about in a forum, are they naive or just open. cant say i would talk about sexual matters, i would see it as a betrayal in trust.
Excellent post !
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2014, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
On a personal level no, and I don't think most people would be interested in hearing it and I am not interested in how they behave in the privacy of their own home.

I think if we are talking about discussing sexual matters generally or someone has a problem that is a different matter and that is up for discussion.

I was 'a listener' for many years. Our founder's first job as a curate was to stand in for a vicar at the burial of a 14 year old girl who had killed herself when her periods starting believing she had VD.

I think it is important that some sexual matters are talked about openly and honestly without people being made to feel they are talking about something 'dirty'
I think you are talking "counselling" here Meg. That's not what I meant by "public".
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2014, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Stella H ->
Neither would I discuss mine on here Joy. In fact, I can't even see why Alan even started this discussion in the first place.
I started it to find out if I was VERY old-fashioned in my beliefs - I've discovered that most of you hold the same view as me, that some things should remain private. Those of you who think otherwise are the same people I would have picked out anyway.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2014, 04:05 PM

I think Alan if you are very old fashioned while it may not be so popular these days I would trust you more than some who do talk openly about these things. No one wants to think their very private life is talked about really IMO.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2014, 08:35 PM

It seems to be trendy to be shocking on the media, it's weird how things like "The Vagina Monologues" are referred to on TV as if expecting a sharp intake of breath and looking at one's shoes!
We all came about because of sex (unless artificial means were used) and yet it's not talked about by most of us.
My parents never spoke of it at all and would change channels if anything "rude" came on TV.
I must say I think it should be discussed as a normal part of life, but not in the "in your face" way that's become fashionable, which seems to be very shocking and uncomfortable to listen to.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2014, 08:51 PM

How times change, sex is everywhere you look, and the smokes are locked away in a cabinet, used to be the other way round.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2014, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
How times change, sex is everywhere you look, and the smokes are locked away in a cabinet, used to be the other way round.
How true, Jem!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2014, 12:41 AM

Alan is pushing the boat out, whatever floats your seamem.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2014, 07:18 PM

I would never discuss mine and my husbands sex life with anyone ever, we have managed quite well for almost forty six years Seriously though, it's all about dignity and respect.

I have no problem discussing sex on a general level though.
When my girls were young and they asked questions I answered them honestly even if I thought they may not entirely understand the explanation. It did however make it much easier for them to ask and for me to answer the more difficult questions later in their lives.

I don't see the point in having discussions about sex just for the sake of it, unless of course it's relevant like the same sex marriage.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top