Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2013, 11:22 AM

Re: Should serial sex offenders be eligible for Parole

Clear rules don't save innocent people from being killed by violent offenders who should have been kept in prison Julie, If they've been sent to jail for violence and commit more violent offences while s'posedly being rehabilitated their sentence should be increased automatically and the prisoner should be made aware of this at the time they're sentenced.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2013, 11:49 AM

OK look at it this way, you have been wrongfully convicted of a crime, (it happens) and you have some how angered another inmate who attacks you, his/her friends claim you provoked or attacked the attacker. You stand in front of one person - the governor, who has to decide if you stay in prison for another year or are let free on your due date. He/she has 10 witnesses say you attacked the "victim" you stand alone accused and have no witness to stand with you.

Would you be happy just a hearing in front of the governor was between you and the freedom you deserve ?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2013, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
OK look at it this way, you have been wrongfully convicted of a crime, (it happens) and you have some how angered another inmate who attacks you, his/her friends claim you provoked or attacked the attacker. You stand in front of one person - the governor, who has to decide if you stay in prison for another year or are let free on your due date. He/she has 10 witnesses say you attacked the "victim" you stand alone accused and have no witness to stand with you.

Would you be happy just a hearing in front of the governor was between you and the freedom you deserve ?
The Governor of a prison will be well aware of inmates personalities and what they are likey to do and it's unlikely that someone would stand alone - where are the prison guards whilst the attack went on?

Overcrowding wouldn't be such a problem if they stopped imprisoning people for non-payment of taxes and make them work it off in some other way that would cost the country less the person probably fiddled in the first place.

So, back to the thread title of:

Should serial sex offenders be eligible for Parole

No
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2013, 08:33 PM

I agree we shouldn't be putting people in prison for debts and taxes etc but I cannot agree a governor would necessarily be neutral, he/she would be an odd bod not to side with prison guards in matters and sadly not all prison guards can be trusted. Also prison guards are not with individual prisoners all the time if they were we would not hear of attacks on some inmates nor would some inmates have to be segregated from the general population for their own safety.
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2013, 01:47 AM

No matter, people who choose to use violence against others should serve their full sentence, their victims are often traumatised for life
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2013, 06:42 PM

I agree we shouldn't be putting people in prison for debts and taxes etc but I cannot agree a governor would necessarily be neutral, he/she would be an odd bod not to side with prison guards in matters and sadly not all prison guards can be trusted. Also prison guards are not with individual prisoners all the time if they were we would not hear of attacks on some inmates nor would some inmates have to be segregated from the general population for their own safety.
Why would a governor have an agenda on prisoners? He/She would have nothing to gain from keeping certain prisoners in prison if they have been improving.

I am also sure that governors would also be able to tell which of their guards are likely to be little tardy when it comes to the truth.

Some attacks are known about by the guards and not stopped (from what I've heard) until the beating has been administered - other guards will stop it immediately.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

27-06-2013, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Why would a governor have an agenda on prisoners? He/She would have nothing to gain from keeping certain prisoners in prison if they have been improving.

I am also sure that governors would also be able to tell which of their guards are likely to be little tardy when it comes to the truth.

Some attacks are known about by the guards and not stopped (from what I've heard) until the beating has been administered - other guards will stop it immediately.
I think possible you need to do a bit of research into prisons, guards and governors are not neutral and often have favourites and agendas.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

27-06-2013, 10:10 AM

I think possible you need to do a bit of research into prisons, guards and governors are not neutral and often have favourites and agendas.
What - all of them?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

27-06-2013, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
What - all of them?
Why do debates etc descend into daft questions like that ? Of course not everyone, but surely even a few is too many .....
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

27-06-2013, 11:05 AM

Why do debates etc descend into daft questions like that ? Of course not everyone, but surely even a few is too many .....
I didn't descend into asking a daft question. Your post cleary stated 'all' - nowhere did you limit the number by saying 'some'. Given now that you agree it is not all, I would go further and say that it is my belief that the majority would not deliberately detain a prisoner longer than was necessary.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top