Join for free
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2012, 07:28 AM

Re: Putting something away ????

I still don't agree with those who say they, are going to spend their children's inheritance.
Why? because when we were born it was the boom years, when there was plenty, now times have changed, even our children find it difficult to get employment.
With many hitting the doll queues daily, the future looks very grim, whilst we have these clowns running the country.
So yes enjoy your money but save a bit for the children and grandchildren, they are going to need it to be sure.
Jonsey
South western France
Jonsey is male 

03-08-2012, 07:41 AM

I suppose in a way you could relate this thread to giving "aid" in Africa.

For example, Those that think they should put something away in order to "help" the younger generations of their families because its either -- the thing to do, and do so because, no matter what, they should have something ---- Could beof the opinion that all 'starving" people should be fed come what may.

And then you have those that won't or don't put a "legacy" by, could they be the ones that would "help" the starving but expect them to "pay back" by making them help themselves instead of continously standing in the "hand out" queue, simply because they knew what it was like and have had to do it themselves.

Now before anyone "bangs on" at me, I am NOT pointing fingers --- I am NOT making accusations just putting a similtude together.
Jonsey
South western France
Jonsey is male 

03-08-2012, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
I still don't agree with those who say they, are going to spend their children's inheritance.
Why? because when we were born it was the boom years, when there was plenty, now times have changed, even our children find it difficult to get employment.
With many hitting the doll queues daily, the future looks very grim, whilst we have these clowns running the country.
So yes enjoy your money but save a bit for the children and grandchildren, they are going to need it to be sure.
Wrinkly,

You must a be lot younger than your photo suggests.

I was born im 1939, the year the second world war started, my Mother raised me, a baby and my two and a half year old sister, alone, my Father was away for over seven years fighting a war, we had rationing, food, like ALL comodities were scarce and for the poor, (which was 99% of the population) unaffordable.

It wasn't until the mid fifties that rationing stopped, times were still lean, all those warriors returning from war were promised a "Utopian" lifestyle, plenty of this plenty of that, when in fact many were struggling to keep house and home together.

Wealth came to us later, not because we were earning more money, although as you say, work was more readily avaible, but simply because credit became so easily avaible to those that didn't have much --- why shouldn't THEY have a "new fangled TV set"--- Why shouldn't THEY have a new "radiogramme" ------- gone were the days when you had to don your Sunday best --make an appointment --- and grovel to your local bank mananger for a life saving loan ------------ CREDIT WAS HERE AND IT WAS BLOODY USED .

We are now harvesting that period of our lives, you simply can't go on borrowing more and more without, in the end having to pay iit back ---- "the piper HAS to be paid".

Of course during that time there were those that were more astute, saved to buy insted of borowing, it becomes a habit, but suddenly when the realistion comes that you have ---- more than you require --- you leave it to someone ---and why --- because you are on your deathbed writing a will.

To state a fatuous statement such as this, is to me , beyond belief, and I quote >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

With many hitting the doll queues daily, the future looks very grim, whilst we have these clowns running the country

Unquote >>>>>>>>>

Some perhaps were lucky enough to have sufficient funds to go through the years of "discontent" when unions brought our country to its knees, I certainly wasn't, I didn't have a "proper job" for some considerable time, the unions saw to that what with their "closed shops" and Brother this and brother that, I had to work, cash in hand, from four a.m. in the morning, bringing in cows, until10.30 at night, behind a bar, and no, I wasn't claiming benefits, my pride, at that time wouldn't let me. I can still see my wife crying in the kitchen wondering where the next meal was coming from.

But we came through that, as did the rest of those without "proper means" perhaps this is why we won't put our money away now we are retired, life was hard for the majority, and now there is a little "butter" to spread we want want to spread it on ourselves and enjoy the taste.

And as far as our unemployed childre / grandchildren suffering --welll --- there are more social benefits availible to teenagers today than were availible to FAMILIES when I was their age, but there, i suppose most of them NEED those benefits--after all aren't these new fangled mobiles VERY expensive.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2012, 08:32 AM

I seem to be in a camp on my own. My son and DIL have been together 15 yrs and have never stood completeley on their own 2 feet. My fault entirely cos I could never waste money, so we always had some left over and if we could help out we did, but they were always told when Danny died the help would stop. It didn't I could still help financally but by now I realised I'd done them a diservice by "helping out" so often. Now I've put a complete stop to it other than seeing to the Grandkids, I give them the only "spends" they get and they're 15,13,11 and I think it's disgusting. My will came as a complete surprise to my DIL, don't know how my son feels but I don't care. Any money is going to someone else entirely and the sale of the house is divided equally between the 5 of them, unless DIL upsets me in which case her share goes to the kids, to be kept in trust (if necessary) till they're 25, and yes I have told her this. This completely floored said DIL who thought my only son would get everything. Not bloody likely, I'm not that daft.She'd blow the lot on crap and the kids wouldn't get a light. At least this way I can see the grankids have a bit of help cos she won't give them any. I know Danny would approve of the last part certainly, and would say about the other it's your money do what you want with it.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2012, 09:26 AM

Grandkids can waste it just as easily as anyone else Hazel. My three stepsons were left five grand each by their paternal grandparents when they were 17, and it was gone on ridiculous cars and "designer" clothes in the space of a couple of months, so whoever you leave it to just hope they enjoy it and don't fool yourself into believing they will use it wisely, whoever they are...
Jonsey
South western France
Jonsey is male 

03-08-2012, 09:44 AM

I would suggest most grandchildren, say over ten years old, were born into the ------ "I want it now" ------ generation.

Working for it is not an option, so a "gift" from Gran and Grandad when they'e popped their clogs will help fund that generation.

One HAS to careful on here because there is always the "exception to the rule", all any of us can do is generalise on a subject such as this and accept that the majority are correct in their thinking.
mazzie
Scotland
mazzie is female 

03-08-2012, 10:00 AM

Although my life has been very very different to yours Jonsey...............I can't argue with any of what you've said. The message throughout is the same. You worked for all you have and now you're enjoying your later years on the proceeds............and why not...........you've brought your family up and pointed them in the right direction as have all of us.........and what they do now is up to them. I don't believe any of us are responsible for our adult children. That doesn't mean we don't care but we can't live their lives for them. They have to find ways to deal with all the sh*t life throws at you, the same as we did. Its what builds characters.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2012, 10:13 AM

I think you have to have nothing, to understand what it is like.
I was born in 1938 Jonesy, thanks for the compliment. We were homeless when mother was only 24 years old, as was her whole family,6 sisters and 1 brother and their spouses and children.
They all made it after much hardship, and all have made good.
But that wasn't the end of it, mother became a widow at the age of just 28, but we came through it.
So yes I understand poverty, and I swore that none of mine will ever go through what I have, I am comfortable and so are my children, at the moment, but they have much more to come.
I retired at 60 and gave my business to my children, it is still running under the leadership of my son.
My pensions are adequate, leaving us plenty to live on and enjoy, and a bit more to save.
Yes there is social services out there if they need it, but we have never had a penny except once, which we didn't want but the authorities insisted, that is another story.{I can explain if you insist}
I happen to believe social services should be for the needy and not the greedy, I am not a believer if you pay into it you are entitled to it, it should be like a term insurance, you pay but might never receive it.
I would like to see every single one means tested, then we would get down to the nitty gritty of who should have it and who shouldn't.
I am a big believer in unions, they have been good for us, they took the country out of poverty, yes the bosses were the ones who invested, but they were the ones who would have had folks working for peanuts whilst they got filthy rich, but that is another subject completely.
At the moment 1 million people in Britain that are homeless. Half a million of which are on the streets or in doorways and the other half a million are living in a squat or a temporary shelter.
Those figures are going to get worse unless something is done quick, immigration etc. the answer is not simple, but it needs sorting pronto.
So those are the people who need help, not just money but counselling to get them into a frame of mind that they don't get it for nothing, they have to do something for the help they receive.
So you see I have good reason to be cautious about the future for my family, now and for the future.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2012, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Grandkids can waste it just as easily as anyone else Hazel. My three stepsons were left five grand each by their paternal grandparents when they were 17, and it was gone on ridiculous cars and "designer" clothes in the space of a couple of months, so whoever you leave it to just hope they enjoy it and don't fool yourself into believing they will use it wisely, whoever they are...
That is why it's in trust till they're 25 cos Grandma is a spoilsport and they don't and won't know anything about it. What they do with it is entirely up to them but we helped give them a chance if they blow it well we can't say it was wasted, it was what they wanted at the time, and it keeps DIL's greedy little mitts off it.
BTW in 1986 my Dad left me £1500 I bought an ex ambulance which Danny converted into a motorhome, did I waste my inheritance??
hazel
Lancashire U.K.

03-08-2012, 10:28 AM

[[QUOTE]]
Yes there is social services out there if they need it, but we have never had a penny except once, which we didn't want but the authorities insisted, that is another story.{I can explain if you insist}

Yes please Wrinkly, if you don't mind that is. I'm nosey

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top