Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2019, 02:59 PM

Re: Aaahh, The Good Ol' 70's.

The 1970 General Election, Robert Carr's Industrial Relations Act, the TUC demonstration and march against the Industrial Relations Act - more than 250,000 on the march in London (I was one of them). The first Miners Strike led by Joe Gormley, the Three day week, and power cuts. The long hot summers of 1975 and 1976 - the swarms of Lady birds.

Special re-convened TUC Conference held in Fairfield Hall in Croydon (I was there).

Trade Union Branch meetings, Regional Executive Council meetings.The founding of neighbourhood Advice/Law Centre - Management Committee meetings every week, duty advice desks. Social Security and Industrial Tribunal representation.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2019, 03:11 PM

The 70s

I remember as a lad having a Halifax savings account and an associated little book which recorded each transaction and the interest compounding. The lady behind the counter swiped the book through a machine which logged the amounts or stamped it.

I also remember everyone furiously saving Green Shield Stamps to save up for some material gimmick. A million stamps for a bedroom alarm clock and the like. I have put by a fully completed book of Green Shield stamps for posterity.

Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2019, 03:18 PM

The 70s were also a decade of space exploration which saw lots of probes and orbital landers reach planets in our solar system.

Most notably in the public media were the Viking probes which took pictures of Mars in 1975 esp of the region called Cydonia which appeared to shown pyramid structures and a colossal structure resembling a human or ape like face

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top