Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2015, 05:36 PM

Re: Pie & mash, Sunday Roast, Fish & Chips and Yorkshire pudding

I am not sure deep frying would have improved the one he ate
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2015, 05:40 PM

Julie, there's Scotch pies and there's Scotch pies. I've eaten the odd good one, but that was the exception. They are traditionally made with mutton and should not be over salty. There's also a popular variety filled with macaroni! I consider most of them give Scotland a bad name.

Why the diet here should have such a bad (justifable?) reputation, I don't know. When you can get such good food, why eat junk?

As for fish & chips, it certainly is no longer a cheap meal. Here the best and cheapest fish comes from the fishmongers and is virtually straight off the trawlers. Fish fillets, like cod & haddock, are about £9 a kg.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2015, 06:40 PM

Gregg's scotch pies are the best. Some others just don't taste right. Scotch pie, beans and chips

Yes, fish is expensive, especially a fish supper from the chippie. It's a now and again treat and worth going that extra mile for a good one. One without too much greasy batter.

Scotland gets a bad reputation for unhealthy food, but it's because of the Scottish fried brekkie. That's another once in a while treat. I cant remember the last time I deep fried anything. I tend to use a spray oil these days.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2015, 07:00 PM

I bought a pack of Scotch pies from Morrisons today...2 for £1. Normally I have with potatoes, veg and gravy, but will try the beans and chips.

Our Morrisons supermarket sells a pack of 12 frozen yorkies, for well under 50p. (That's half of £1 for you overseas people!!).

And of course there's another cheat method, which I also do, and did today, and that is buying a pack of batter mix, to which you add egg and water! Less than 20p!! True, it needs 2 eggs, but I plan on halving the packet, and using half the extra measurements so there's no waste. Another supermarket sells batter mix for 20p that only needs 1 egg, but I didn't go in there today.

Still can't fit a blade of grass in my freezer...
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2015, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
I wouldn't bother with the Yorkshire puddings Linda, they taste just like damp cardboard.
That is so NOT true!! If yours taste like that you are not making them properly!!
Have a go at them, Linda, they're yummy and not at all difficult to make.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2015, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Please note Linda he is from Lancashire, they have a bit of history with Yorkshire. War of the Roses and all that.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/...ire#.mi7Z2Yrwk

Go on try a yorky they are easy to make but can take a while to perfect.
Some... no, most... of those pictures were absolutely beautiful.

And Wetwang and Butt Hole Road? Brilliant, LOL

In the states, we have an Intercourse, Pennsylvania. And on your way to Kentucky, you'll see a sign that advertises Big Bone Lick state park.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2015, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
That is so NOT true!! If yours taste like that you are not making them properly!!
Have a go at them, Linda, they're yummy and not at all difficult to make.
I may break down and make them one day.

And okay, who eats haggis (and likes it)? I know it's a Scottish thing, but is it popular anywhere else in the UK?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2015, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
I may break down and make them one day.

And okay, who eats haggis (and likes it)? I know it's a Scottish thing, but is it popular anywhere else in the UK?
They sell it in our Tesco store and I am way down south so I would say it's eaten everywhere, I think it's a bit of an acquired taste though as they don't sell much of it.
Linda0818
USA

21-02-2015, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
They sell it in our Tesco store and I am way down south so I would say it's eaten everywhere, I think it's a bit of an acquired taste though as they don't sell much of it.
The ingredients are a little scary, but I'll try anything once, within reason. Within reason I mean I'm not going to eat something still moving or a possum that's been picked up off the road to fix for Sunday dinner, LOL
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2015, 01:12 AM

Oldest haggis recipie found was from Cumbria.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top