Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2013, 12:00 AM

Re: Jeremy Kyle

I think old whats-his-name, Jerry Springer, started this type of show. He was the original wasn't he?
I have never liked Jeremy Kyle much I'm afraid, cocky little so-and-so.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2013, 12:17 AM

I agree I think there is something quite compelling about these type of "car crash" tv programmes and I think that's what the TV companies rely upon, which in my mind is just immoral. I don't understand the people that appear on it either but I can't help feeling they're being exploited by the whole process.

Just don't get me started on the "Embarrassing Bodies" programme - too embarrassed to go to your GP but happy to display your bits to 000s of TV viewers.

Originally Posted by Agent ->
Its pretty crass but also strangely just a little compelling .. When I'm offshore people congregate in the TV lounge just for this..lots of stamping of feet and shouting at the telly.. Really funny.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2013, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Baxter8 ->
I agree I think there is something quite compelling about these type of "car crash" tv programmes and I think that's what the TV companies rely upon, which in my mind is just immoral. I don't understand the people that appear on it either but I can't help feeling they're being exploited by the whole process.

Just don't get me started on the "Embarrassing Bodies" programme - too embarrassed to go to your GP but happy to display your bits to 000s of TV viewers

Yup, I'd agree with all you said there Baxter, though I don't watch JK. I watched a couple of his shows way back, and couldn't understand for the life of me, why the 'guests' want to go on and exhibit themselves like that. And yes, I agree that they are being exploited - but more fool them.
as for Embarrassing Bodies", well ......... really don't understand some folk.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2013, 09:17 AM

Are the participants paid to appear on these sort of shows?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2013, 10:09 AM

Several Big brother contestants were on embarrassing bodies before they managed to get onto BB says a lot about how embarrassed they were IMO if they were applying for BB too !
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

24-11-2013, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Several Big brother contestants were on embarrassing bodies before they managed to get onto BB says a lot about how embarrassed they were IMO if they were applying for BB too !

What peculiar mentalities some people have.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2013, 01:39 PM

I know - pretty scary huh !
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2013, 02:17 PM

I don't think they're paid but of course they are put up overnight in a hotel and they get the chance to be "famous" for 10 minutes which is all some of them probably want out of life. I saw Mick Philpott on there and yes, it's kind of addictive, rather like it must have been 100 years ago walking round Bedlam to poke sticks at the people in there. I'm not proud of the fact that it leaves me with a sense of superiority and even thankfulness that I'm not "like these low lifes" - what does that say about me?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2013, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Are the participants paid to appear on these sort of shows?
From what I understand, Relate charge for their services now and (going from my wealth of knowledge of one week's viewing ) some needed mental health counsellining that they couldn't get on the NHS (or the wait was hideously long) so going on the show gave them free access to those services - maybe that's part of the attraction for some. Others, it will be their few minutes of fame I suppose.
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2013, 03:07 PM

Have any of you noticed just how many of them have front teeth missing - women as well? Either that or a mouthful of black rotten teeth.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top