Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Maver-rik
London. England
Maver-rik is female  Maver-rik has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2012, 04:00 PM

Re: Junket

I'm I having a horrid hallucination or was there also Milk Jelly .
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2012, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Maver-rik ->
I'm I having a horrid hallucination or was there also Milk Jelly .
I loved milk jelly and blancmange and semolina and Junket yum!
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2012, 09:17 PM

I used to make my children milk jelly and blancmange, they loved both.
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2012, 09:50 AM

Just looked up rennet on Wikipedia - no wonder junket is thought of as disgusting! - it's an enzyme extracted from a dead calf's stomach. I used to eat it as a child, but I guess it was due to the deprivation of sweets in WW2, and we war babies would grab at anything that might have any sweetness in it - condensed milk being a particular favourite.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2012, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by 2wheeler ->
Just looked up rennet on Wikipedia - no wonder junket is thought of as disgusting! - it's an enzyme extracted from a dead calf's stomach. I used to eat it as a child, but I guess it was due to the deprivation of sweets in WW2, and we war babies would grab at anything that might have any sweetness in it - condensed milk being a particular favourite.
Hi Pete rennet is also used it the production of cheese to separate the curds from the whey . I know there is a vegetarian version but I think calves rennet is still widely used for cheese production so most cheese eaters will be eating it .
Maver-rik
London. England
Maver-rik is female  Maver-rik has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2012, 06:34 PM

I'm sure I've read about something called Shape, also a dessert I believe, or perhaps something given to invalids to encourage them to eat. Does it ring any bells?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2012, 06:40 PM

I'm sure I've read about something called Shape, also a dessert I believe, or perhaps something given to invalids to encourage them to eat. Does it ring any bells?
I've heard of Shape yoghurt which is made by Danone ..... could that be what you are thinking of Maver-rik?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

13-07-2012, 07:13 PM

Mav I think 'shape ' referred to blancmange and jelly both very old deserts which used to be served in elaborately 'shaped' moulds
Maver-rik
London. England

13-07-2012, 07:24 PM

Ahh, thanks, I was trying to remember where I read about it, and I think it mighy have been in "The Diary of a Provincial Lady" by E. M. Delafield. Can recommend it by the way, the book I mean not the pud.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

13-07-2012, 07:28 PM

Ahh, thanks, I was trying to remember where I read about it, and I think it mighy have been in "The Diary of a Provincial Lady" by E. M. Delafield. Can recommend it by the way, the book I mean not the pud.
My great aunt was in service to Sir Joseph Whitworth she always called blancmange and jelly 'shape' .

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top