Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2011, 12:04 PM

Re: Pause for thought

I too remember mum's button tin she would give it to me to use as play money when I played shops or just to look through I always found a treasure.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2011, 02:08 PM

Yes, there was always that special pretty button or an old broken brooch in Mum's button tin. When she died I kept it and have added to it over the years but none are as pretty as the old ones. There are two tiny yellow ones with ducks on which I had on my matinee coat. The grandchildren play with them, they know where the tin is and to them it is treasure.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2011, 02:19 PM

Thats really nice to hear that the button tin still gives pleasure. I would have thought that in this health and safety world someone would have put the mockers on buttons saying that children could swallow them???????
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2011, 04:05 PM

Cate, I suspect you're right there ... someone somewhere in our nanny states have probably already done that.......
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2011, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by shaz ->
I can remember, helping unravel jumpers. also cutting the buttons off old clothes, we had a jar they were kept in. We live in a throw away society now.
I remember unraveling old jumpers as well.

I try and reuse things where possible and I get some really strange looks when refusing a plastic carrier bag in corner shops, I really hate plastic bags!! Wish we had more paper bags,
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2011, 04:45 PM

Talking about unravelling jumpers. My Gran used to buy jumpers and cardigans from the jumble sale in Hampstead just for the wool, then unravel and knit us some 'new' woollens.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

01-11-2011, 06:02 PM

I have a wonderful way of saving the planet. I have just looked in my wardrobe and discovered that most of the clothes are many years old. Even shoes I obviously keep hoping they come back in style. Yep, not buying new clothes is the way to go NOT
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2011, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
I'm glad to say that we're trying to curb the usage of plastic bags which contribute to an awful amount of litter. In Washington (and many other Cities) you're charged a nickel per plastic bag, or get it off for bringing your own tote bag. There was a lot of griping initially but it's cut down the amount of bag useage tremendously!

Hows that for a plastic bag Eileen.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2011, 09:44 PM

Aaack! As an anti-gun person I'd never want to be seen with that bag!!
aitch
Wigan
aitch is male  aitch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2011, 11:42 PM

Ive heard whispers that the supermarkets here are going to start charging for carrier bags, one price mentioned was 10p each, I use 6 a time when I do my weekly shop, but if the bags have a store logo on, are we within our rights to ask for a commission for walking about advertising the stores, ???

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top