Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2016, 08:32 PM

Re: An 'orrible lump

Originally Posted by Older git ->
Glad all is well. I`ve not seen a tic for many years and that was on a cat. How to remove it? Now we must remember that my father was a supreme being -grab cat,pull off tic-and stick what`s left with a fag. I`m not too sure the cat was impressed.
Tried that on past cats, nothing, even put soldering irons on them, nothing

Noticed on the Vet prog the other day , they twisted them off.
Not saying do it.

Not as bad perhaps as the bugs in Africa, well flies that lay eggs in washing on the line. They hatch and enter the body as maggots So moving there, make sure the House Boy uses a really hot iron when ironing. They will be here soon
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2016, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Mart, l didn't know humans could get tics! I thought dogs or cats got them from walking in long grass where sheep had been!
I am always pruning and cutting down shrubs, now l'm worried!
I'm glad it came off and you're on antibiotics!
Yes, a really horrible death
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2016, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Best way to remove them is to twist them off..
No.....

Use a pair of fine-tipped tweezers or a tick removal tool
Grip the tick as close to the skin as possible to ensure the tick's mouth isn't left in the skin.
Pull steadily away from the skin without twisting or crushing the tick
Wash your skin with water and soap afterwards, and apply an antiseptic cream to the skin around the bite.

Don't use a lit cigarette end, a match head or substances such as alcohol or petroleum jelly to force the tick out.

Mart.....good you went to the doctor and kept the 'evidence'......hope all goes well.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2016, 06:42 AM

Thanks for the good wishes. No rings around the bite appeared (described as being like a dartboard). Just a slowly disappearing hard spot. Just have to wait and see but right now, I feel I've got away with it.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2016, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
No.....

Use a pair of fine-tipped tweezers or a tick removal tool
Grip the tick as close to the skin as possible to ensure the tick's mouth isn't left in the skin.
Pull steadily away from the skin without twisting or crushing the tick
l.
DANGER Will Robinson...

NO NO NO! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! - nor twisting either. Both these methods are likely to force some of the tick's stomach contents into the wound.

The only way to remove them is to freeze them with something like Freeze Off Wart Remover or Skin Tag Remover give the tick a couple of squirts wait a few minutes for it to die then you can brush it off.

If you are not careful you might not only get lyme disease, they might paralyse you or you may develop an allergy to red meat (which would be the worst outcome in my view)

galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2016, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
I used to see them regularly on rabbits in my ferreting days but I never had one actually bite me.
OMG you did ferreting I just might begin to like you....so did I before the cold winter mornings and my upset Whippets put me off.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2016, 08:46 AM

In my hill and fell walking days i used to stride through all the bracken and fields in my shorts. I guess ive just been lucky to not encounter tics before.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2016, 09:20 AM

I do plenty of brushing by long grasses, bracken, trees in shorts and T-shirts and have done all my life. Walk lots, garden lots and ride my bike off-road. I've never had cause to think about Tics (or is it ticks) before. I've even cut down the height and trimmed up the laurel bushes at the bottom of the garden a few times and not had any trouble. I think doing this is where the bite came from though.

Mine was where the waistband of by trousers sits but a good job the waistband stopped it there! ..although it could have dropped right through. I'd think the Tic dropped off some of the taller branches of the laurel and down the front of my shirt.

I know removal is preferable because nobody wants one of those things feeding off them but as regards the disease, I suppose that would be transmitted on the initial bite. In other words, by the time the Tic is noticed, it's already too late.

People do get Tic bites and I suppose my incident at least means others can be aware of that. Cover up and if not covered up, use insect repellent.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2016, 10:36 AM

Tics live and feed on warm blooded mammals and drop off to the ground to breed, then they wait for their next host to pass by and jump onto 'em....you were unlucky !
dukeofearl
south coast uk

16-10-2016, 11:54 AM

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top