Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 01:00 PM

Re: Endoscopy procedure - Picolax

I've had it done twice first with no sedative second with one but didn't work. I stopped upstairs when the action started as we've no downstairs loo so not enough time to take the stairs. It's not a pleasant procedure but needs to be done. Go for it Jazzi it's only a day and a few hours then it will be over. Take the advice for pampering your bum.
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 01:06 PM

jazzi hubby had it done last year --like someone said don't roam to far from the loo....but don't worry over the procedure..yes they give u a mild sedative my hubby said it was over and done with no pain as they do chat to you ...good luck
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Every hospital has its own favourite bowel prep.
If you google bowel prep you'll find a huge amount of reading matter and some gentler more alternative regimes.
But the end (sorry!) result is the same, you must have a pink squeaky clean tract or they won't do the exam.
Picolax seems to be the favourite but there are others.
I've found that if you switch to a fibre free white diet a couple of days before it makes the process a whole lot easier.
Yes that's true, it needs to be pretty thorough so that the person carrying out the procedure has the best possible view of the lining of the bowel.
I know from a family member who works in a hospital that sometimes a patient has the procedure but the prep hasn't done it's job so well and the consultant is exasperated that they can't see well enough so it's best to put up with the temporary discomfort for long term peace of mind.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 05:20 PM

I hope your procedure goes smoothly Jazzi. It'll be worth it to get the proper diagnosis.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 07:47 PM

Thanks for the latest replies, and your good wishes. I called the clinic to make the appointment and the receptionist (a bored sounding man) said we'll check your contact details and my colleague will call you back. I said I was going out, would it be this morning? He replied don't wait by the phone, but I'll put it on her desk. Thank you, have a nice day.

I went..'hang on, weren't you supposed to be checking you had my contact details?' Durrrr!!

And guess what? No calls on either phone, all day. I'm suppose to make the appointment within a week of the letter date. Cutting it a bit fine then.

(I'll try again in the morning, wake them up a bit.)
AlbertaS
Berkshire, UK
AlbertaS is female  AlbertaS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2015, 02:33 PM

I have had this procedure a few times and don't find it a problem. Like you I was unsure the first time, but once you take the Picolax, as has been said, keep near the loo as it really does clear you out.
After having rectum cancer a few years ago, I had the option of having the endoscopy every 5yrs to make sure that all is still clear. I feel very lucky to be given this care and do advise you to pluck up the courage and have it done. You will be mildly sedated and will feel no side effects except to feel a bit tired.
Good luck and I hope that all is well!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2015, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by AlbertaS ->
I have had this procedure a few times and don't find it a problem. Like you I was unsure the first time, but once you take the Picolax, as has been said, keep near the loo as it really does clear you out.
After having rectum cancer a few years ago, I had the option of having the endoscopy every 5yrs to make sure that all is still clear. I feel very lucky to be given this care and do advise you to pluck up the courage and have it done. You will be mildly sedated and will feel no side effects except to feel a bit tired.
Good luck and I hope that all is well!
Thanks Alberta.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

21-05-2015, 03:40 PM

I got myself organised for a day out but really it was getting on for 11.30 ish when I left so decided to take my bus, which goes inside the hospital, to make the appt in person. All done: 18 June 10am.

Have just got home from wandering about (having taken another bus) and called the original clinic to book the follow up appt. 22 July 12 noon.

I have my sachets of Picolax, and my instructions.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2015, 05:42 PM

Feel for you Jazzi, good luck gal. x
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

21-05-2015, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Feel for you Jazzi, good luck gal. x
*sighs*. Me too! I even admitted to the clerk I was in two minds as to whether to go ahead.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top