Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2016, 09:50 AM

Re: Head spinning.

At least you've got a diagnosis Carol and I hope the exercises and tablets soon resolve the problem.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2016, 10:32 AM

Well done Carol. Hope the exercises help and it fades away soon.

The tablets they offered me were anti-sickness ones, (travel pills), I declined.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2016, 10:43 AM

Now you know what is causing the problem, Carol, you can try to do something about it. Good luck!
confused.com
North Wales
confused.com is female  confused.com has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2016, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by myrtle ->
At least you've got a diagnosis Carol and I hope the exercises and tablets soon resolve the problem.
I second this, vertigo is horrid
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2016, 01:49 PM

Get well soon, Carol. X
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2016, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I'm just back from the doctors.
Pleased to hear you got a diagnosis Carol I think it is horrid when you don't know the cause of a problem.
Hope you are better soon.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2016, 04:46 PM

Thanks for the good wishes everybody - much appreciated.

I've done the first set of exercises.

They involve lying on my right side for 30 seconds and tilting the head to 45 degrees. Then sitting upright for 30 seconds before doing the same on the left hand side.
When I went down on my left hand side things started to happen - my head actually felt as though it was shaking about inside and was spinning madly.

The exercise had to be repeated 5 times - 3 times a day.
I felt nauseous afterwards but apparently they have a good cure rate so I shall carry on.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2016, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Thanks for the good wishes everybody - much appreciated.

I've done the first set of exercises.

They involve lying on my right side for 30 seconds and tilting the head to 45 degrees. Then sitting upright for 30 seconds before doing the same on the left hand side.
When I went down on my left hand side things started to happen - my head actually felt as though it was shaking about inside and was spinning madly.

The exercise had to be repeated 5 times - 3 times a day.
I felt nauseous afterwards but apparently they have a good cure rate so I shall carry on.
That sounds encouraging, Carol, so I might try it myself if and when I find myself suffering similar feelings.

However, could you please elaborate: if I lie on my right side then tilt my head to 45 degrees, in which direction do I tilt it? Do I tilt my head up or down from horizontal, or do I turn my head left or right from the neutral position?

Also, when I first lie on my side, do I keep my head in a neutral position for 30 seconds and then tilt it, or do I tilt it and then remain in that position for 30 seconds.

You said these are the 'first set of exercises'. Does that mean there are other, different, exercises to be done afterwards?

Sorry for so many questions, but if I'm going to give this a try I want to be sure I do it correctly!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2016, 07:11 PM

Sorry, Carol. I've just googled this and found:

http://www.ncuh.nhs.uk/our-services/...uick-guide.pdf

which explains it fully. I misunderstood: the 45 degrees is turning the head, rather than tilting it!

Thanks for the 'heads up'(!) anyway.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2016, 08:14 PM

Oh sorry about that JBR. Of course I should have said turn not tilt.

It says the easy way to remember is to imagine there's a 6 ft person in front of you and you're looking at the top of their head.

You do 5 repeats 3 times a day for 2 weeks.
In most cases apparently complete relief is gained after 10 days.

We can but hope.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top