Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2014, 10:10 AM

Re: Visiting the dead

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
Looking for a grave at the moment. My great Grandad George and Grandma Mary are buried in a massive cemetery in Leeds. Still haven't
found where they are as the older part where they are is overgrown and
not really tended to. I only found out the other month what the section
and plot was. Why do I want to find the ploy. Well in my mind I would
like to say Hello to them as they have been dead for over a 100 years
and I am here because of their love for each other.
I am determined to find them but its hard when you don't live in the
same city.
My parents were both cremated and so will I be. I don't believe I
regretted not going to their grave. I have them in my head and
can still tell stories of them to my kids and Grandkids. I think that is
what is important in my mind its the mentioning and remembering
whether its good or bad.
Have you tried asking about church records? Good luck.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2014, 10:23 AM

Same here Bowie Eyes,looking for my Grand dads grave somewhere in the Mansfield area ,I'm still trying to get the correct Death Cert ,once i have that i should be a step closer..
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2014, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Poem by Mary Elizabeth Frye 1905-2004

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.

I understand why folks feel the need to visit graves, but it's not for me. I carry their memory in my head.
I love this - always makes me weep, the very thing I shouldn't be doing!!
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2014, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Poem by Mary Elizabeth Frye 1905-2004

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.

I understand why folks feel the need to visit graves, but it's not for me. I carry their memory in my head.
Ditto.

And thank you for posting this. Because sometimes I *do* feel the occasional twang of guilt for only visiting my mom's grave once since she died, which was 13 years ago.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2014, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
Same here Bowie Eyes,looking for my Grand dads grave somewhere in the Mansfield area ,I'm still trying to get the correct Death Cert ,once i have that i should be a step closer..
Once you get the correct Death Cert then there will be no stopping you. My uncle moved to London. Years went by and he vanished without any word. A few years passed and I decided to find out what happened to him. Found out he had died, alone, and was registered by a social worker. Another lonely statistic in London, although my mum was his next of kin, this should not have happened. All this was done online by myself. I found out where in the cemetery and what plot. Before I knew it, I was standing at his graveside at Mortlake Cemetery in London, with some flowers and a letter from my mum to be placed there. I phoned my mum from the graveside and she sobbed. She couldn't travel that distance, but was so happy I did it. I've done it again since.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2014, 02:55 PM

alice 76,, thats a very moving story ,i recently found a cemetery and visited it after finding a relative registered on Burials ,in fact I've visited a few cemeteries but no grave stones exist for my relatives .

The poem Do not stand at my grave and weep,was on a card i gave my mum ,
She went into a mourning for a year when my father died ,and visited the grave every week .
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2014, 05:27 PM

Don't really have any folks in cemeteries to visit but I do have a walk round and visit other peoples relatives occasionally . I don't find it too gloomy just quiet and peaceful really .
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2014, 05:35 PM

I did visit a cemetery in Mauchline recently, where Robert Burns, the Scottish Poet's, children are buried. As were some of his friends. So very interesting. I don't find cemeteries depressing at all, but like you Abbey, quiet and peaceful.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2014, 08:25 PM

We were living at the other end of the country when our parents died. Of course we took time to attend the funerals and help get their affairs in order, but visiting their graves regularly is not practical.

I do, when the opportunity arises, visit the graves of famous people. I found visiting Arlington National Cemetery very interesting..
I saw the memorial to the 7 astronauts lost in the Challenge disaster and the beautiful simplicity of JFK's grave.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

14-10-2014, 10:05 AM

Grumbleweed I would also love to visit such graves. I find it fascinating to try and imagine the lives of such people. I also visited Roy Roy's grave in Balquidder which I found fascinating. Not at all depressing.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top