Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2014, 08:01 PM

Re: Wasting Energy

I was advised to leave the heating on rather than on/off in that it takes less power in the long run to keep the heat constant.......never really tried it, my daughter does it and her bills are not small!
I live in a small bungalow and our bills with Eon are pretty reasonable, only a bit more than yours for Gas and Electricity for the last quarter.
Don't you just love the Utility Companies?
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2014, 08:10 PM

Mwahh - spit to your last comment, Cranberry !

Not you personally............ !

Gwyn
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2014, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
I was advised to leave the heating on rather than on/off in that it takes less power in the long run to keep the heat constant.......never really tried it, my daughter does it and her bills are not small!
I live in a small bungalow and our bills with Eon are pretty reasonable, only a bit more than yours for Gas and Electricity for the last quarter.
Don't you just love the Utility Companies?

and when it's really cold, open the door into the loft at night so you get some heat going up there and the pipes/water tanks won't freeze
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2014, 10:58 PM

Modern appliances use so little power on standby that you save very little by switching them off. I never bother - what am I going to save? - a few pounds a year.

I've invested in insulation for the house and that's saved me quite a bit over the years. The main expense is using oil for central heating.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2014, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
and when it's really cold, open the door into the loft at night so you get some heat going up there and the pipes/water tanks won't freeze
Assuming there are any up there

There are none in mine, the water tank and pipes are in the airing cupboard.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2014, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by AliceB ->
I'm currently in a spat with EON who say that I've used £204 in the last quarter for gas (this is purely for heating).Yes, the figures tally, but I could have launched a small rocket on that, as I live in a semi-detached Housing Association bungalow.

I admit to leaving the heating on at 15C for a few weeks, following advice that it's better to leave it running than stop and start - I won't be doing that again!

But, to add insult to injury, I've rung EON twice and been assured that 'someone' will contact me - no show, so I'm spitting feathers about that too.
Gwyn

Bet you'll have to ring a lot more than twice Gwyn, they are the worst company I've ever had to deal with - useless.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2014, 11:51 PM

My friend's husband reckons his gas bills are less this year because he leaves the heating ON constantly, but turned down very low so the house never gets really cold.
I don't know what to do for the best. . . .
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2014, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by AliceB ->
Mwahh - spit to your last comment, Cranberry !

Not you personally............ !

Gwyn
You takin my name in vain.?.
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2014, 11:20 AM

Oooh, hadn't realised how it read - !!

Gwyn
Angelfire
South, USA
Angelfire is female  Angelfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2014, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
Modern appliances use so little power on standby that you save very little by switching them off. I never bother - what am I going to save? - a few pounds a year.

I've invested in insulation for the house and that's saved me quite a bit over the years. The main expense is using oil for central heating.
That is so true!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top