Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 05:41 AM

Re: Just for Artangel....Picture of my car doors

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
This is why I took a photo today, to show you what they are like...hence the thread and it's title.

How this can be deemed inappropriate, I really don't know.
It is the correct term for these type of doors. So the title was correct if a little cryptic or to some possibly shocking.

As for suicide, its a touchy subject isnt it? So many affected by it, so many have tried or contemplated it. Yet it remains a taboo. Outlawed still in some places and not socially acceptable anywhere you go, so I can understand that someone might have found the title too provocative/painful.

However if we continue to hide away from this word (because thats all it is) we continue to demonise it and the act with which it is asscociated.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 05:50 AM

Weird name for doors though, I wonder why they called them that?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Weird name for doors though, I wonder why they called them that?
I think because, rear passengers have to get out, directly into the flow of passing traffic, without the open door to protect them, but, on this model the word is apt, as, owning one usually equates to financial suicide.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 06:43 AM

No idea about resale value but I see your point on safety...thank you
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
No idea about resale value but I see your point on safety...thank you
Its more to do with horrendous running costs and not so much resale value.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
It is the correct term for these type of doors. So the title was correct if a little cryptic or to some possibly shocking.

As for suicide, its a touchy subject isnt it? So many affected by it, so many have tried or contemplated it. Yet it remains a taboo. Outlawed still in some places and not socially acceptable anywhere you go, so I can understand that someone might have found the title too provocative/painful.

However if we continue to hide away from this word (because thats all it is) we continue to demonise it and the act with which it is asscociated.
We cannot live our lives ruled by the sensitivities of others....if this were the case every conversation would be deemed inappropriate at some point........I had a very good friend commit suicide only 18 months ago, I wouldn't take offence at a lighthearted thread nor would I expect others to pussy foot around the topic.....or the use of the word.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
We cannot live our lives ruled by the sensitivities of others....if this were the case every conversation would be deemed inappropriate at some point........I had a very good friend commit suicide only 18 months ago, I wouldn't take offence at a lighthearted thread nor would I expect others to pussy foot around the topic.....or the use of the word.

Absolutly, which is why I feel this word should not be avoided or outlawed as if its the 'N' word it is a descriptive word in this case to indicate the danger of such doors in general to describe the premature ending of a life by own hand.
Suicide kills more young men ie under 40 than , cancer or car wrecks, drugs or even war (at this moment) yet most people chose to ignore it.

My family have been hit by this on three occasions and I have lost a couple of friends this way but I felt the worst insult was not being able to talk about it freely.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top