Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2013, 12:51 PM

Re: Les Miserables.

I know in theory that's right but every time I have tried I manage to mess it up so 20p for someone else to convert it to my kindle is fine for me.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2013, 02:17 PM

Can I just point out, both to Bruce and Robert Junior, that as it was a filmed version of a stage 'Musical' there were actually no instances of 'speeches being sung rather than spoken'. The whole point of such a production is that it is all sung.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2013, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
Robert, My thoughts exactly. I thought the last half hour when all the dead people came back for a last song was the most moving part - but no tears for me! I also found the singing of the speeches really annoying.
I am assuming that you are not familiar with stage musicals, and are therefore unaware of the concept of what is known as 'The Reprise' or maybe Grand Finale, where the entire cast assembles to sing a musical 'montage' of all the big songs/melodies concluding with of course the most rousing. The idea in a theatre is to send the audience out into the night feeling uplifted with adrenalin pumping and the 'best bits' ringing in their ears (and cynical me - maybe encouraged to purchase a CD?). Oh and 'half an hour'? five minutes maybe.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2013, 06:18 PM

I haven't seen it yet, but I am sure I will before very long as my wife wants to see it badly. I wasn't too impressed by the trailers I have seen, but hopefully the whole thing will be a better experience. I must admit I felt the same way about The Phantom of the Opera before seeing it and was blown away.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2013, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by daisymay ->
Can I just point out, both to Bruce and Robert Junior, that as it was a filmed version of a stage 'Musical' there were actually no instances of 'speeches being sung rather than spoken'. The whole point of such a production is that it is all sung.
Can I point out to Daisymay that I never said anything about speeches being sung rather than spoken. I have no idea where she got that daft idea from.
ratbag
UK
ratbag is female  ratbag has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 12:16 AM

Am I the only person who hated it ? I couldn't be bothered to watch it right through, found it most depressing.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 04:02 AM

No, I hated it too (it has been discussed in another thread) and not because it was depressing but because it was such a poorly made film the production at my local amateur theatre was better however I am currently reading the book and loving it - so interesting.
ratbag
UK
ratbag is female  ratbag has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 11:06 PM

oh really I didnt see the other thread sorry, cannot see what all the fuss is about ? some people I know have seen it lots of times .
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

08-06-2013, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by ratbag ->
oh really I didnt see the other thread sorry, cannot see what all the fuss is about ? some people I know have seen it lots of times .
I'd happily watch the stage show again, or indeed the DVD of the 25th Anniversary concert just not the film.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top