Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 05:30 PM

Re: Are You "As Tight as a DA"?

Is spending or saving a mostly unwavering part of personality? When I think of my siblings, kids, and friends, that seems to be the case.
Sage
U. S.
Sage is female  Sage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 05:41 PM

I have been dirt poor, without enough money for the right food or to pay the utilities, etc. My first husband spent 3 times more money than we had. Once I extracted myself from that situation I made sure I never allowed that to happen again. Even after finances became more lucrative I made sure I used all the toothpaste and such. The environment does not need to absorb more of my discards.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 06:01 PM

I would not say that I’m tight Ted. I’m prudent.
I am always careful not to waste food and I am also charitable and generous with family.
I’m forever telling my son to turn off his Airconditioning.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
For those of more limited years, a DA was a 60s hair Style.

Being "tight" is a reference to gripping your money tightly.

This morning, it occurred to me to wonder why I bothered squeezing the toothpaste tube to get that last thread out, then I, very carefully, poured out last of the Breakfast Cereal into the new box, after which I noticed several, nearly empty, sauce bottles in the fridge.

I thought to myself "I really am Ebenezer Scrooge"

Then I turned the heating down, a degree, used up the last of the old milk bottle, before opening the new one - which will be thrown away, half used, later.

What a miser must be I!

Am I alone in this tight world?

Scrooge? I'm a bloody Scotsman!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 07:12 PM

I penny pinch on some things, so that l can then afford the best quality, luxurious stuff.
I don’t mind paying but l hate to be short changed or done out of money.
If l am overcharged in a shop, l go back and tell them. I resent Supermarkets overcharging me as they make millions out of us customers.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by artangel ->
i penny pinch on some things, so that l can then afford the best quality, luxurious stuff.
If l am overcharged in a shop, l go back and tell them. I resent supermarkets overcharging me as they make millions out of us customers.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2021, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
For those of more limited years, a DA was a 60s hair Style.

Being "tight" is a reference to gripping your money tightly.

This morning, it occurred to me to wonder why I bothered squeezing the toothpaste tube to get that last thread out, then I, very carefully, poured out last of the Breakfast Cereal into the new box, after which I noticed several, nearly empty, sauce bottles in the fridge.

I thought to myself "I really am Ebenezer Scrooge"

Then I turned the heating down, a degree, used up the last of the old milk bottle, before opening the new one - which will be thrown away, half used, later.

What a miser must be I!

Am I alone in this tight world?

No not tight but are you, by any chance, like me, on a State Pension only?
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2021, 03:12 PM

I'm certainly not extravagant ,but if there's something I want ,then I'll get it .there were times when the children were small and just one wage coming in, that wasn't possible. I find that I don't throw much food out, I shop for what we need every week, yes I do use the last of the toothpaste in the tube, and any stale bread goes to the birds.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2021, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I penny pinch on some things, so that l can then afford the best quality, luxurious stuff.
If l am overcharged in a shop, l go back and tell them. I resent Supermarkets overcharging me as they make millions out of us customers.
Hi

Exactly right.

I both spend and avoid wasting money.

Some fantastic holidays and restaurants,

I was at the recycling earlier to day.

I blagged a lot of 6x1, 6 and 8 ft timbers off someone throwing them away.

I felt no shame, they are now on my back garden, soon to be raised beds.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2021, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Exactly right.

I both spend and avoid wasting money.

Some fantastic holidays and restaurants,

I was at the recycling earlier to day.

I blagged a lot of 6x1, 6 and 8 ft timbers off someone throwing them away.

I felt no shame, they are now on my back garden, soon to be raised beds.
Is that part of the interview tomorrow for your Gardener, Swimmy? "Make those planks into raised beds, and the jobs yours?!"

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top