Join for free
Page 3 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2015, 09:57 PM

Re: Bullying Smokers

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
But surely someone who wants to lose weight, stop smoking, stop drinking .... is primarily reliant on their own willpower and stamina to stop.
Support groups can only provide so much help.
Smokers who don't quit rarely blame the NHS .. they blame themselves.

On the other hand .. were legislation introduced to 'help' the obese lose weight would they feel bullied, I wonder?

Or...if like smokers are being treated, you were not allowed to eat in certain places
Uff
Scotland
Uff is female  Uff has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2015, 09:58 PM

I should think that trying to bully a smoker to stop smoking will have the opposite effect. It would immediately put my back up and I'd be thinking mind your own business.

We all know that smoking is bad for us but giving up is much easier said than done.
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2015, 10:06 PM

good post Uff
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2015, 10:52 PM

I stopped smoking 40+ years ago, and I didn't find it hard I just believed the medical profession when they said it caused cancer of the lung, so having seen two family members die I immediately finished.
The amazing thing I find now that smokers up here seem to stand on their doorstep rather than smoke in the home, even when they live on their own.
A smoker does play Russian roulette with their lives, if you gave them a gun with one bullet in it and ask them to spin the barrel and put it to their heads, they wouldn't do it and neither would I
I do think we are hard on smokers and I do feel for them either way, and sadly they will pack in smoking because the price is continually put up leaving them very little else to do other than stop.
Is it fair, well yes if it saves their lives it will be worth it.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 12:51 AM

My 2penneth on the smoking issue will be short.

Anyone who publicly creates a dangerous environment for others by whatever means should be prevented from doing so. The governments have been utterly corrupt in allowing smokers to continue for so long both inside and outside public buildings. The government are of course in the pockets of large conglomerates so the tobacco industry has had a stranglehold for many years.

If I stood outside a pub with a canister of tear gas or mustard gas and decided to let it off other people would rightly complain and have me stopped. Smoking is utterly stupid but we must allow free-will in the right places and provided that it does not adversely impact others. Smoking unfortunately DOES adversely impact others and always has done. It should therefore not be done in public nor anything else of a similar nature.
opheila
North Jersey, US
opheila is female  opheila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 01:50 AM

I wouldn't be a hypocrite and bully someone for smoking. I did it for many years and still do it in my dreams sometimes. It was pleasurable, so I can understand someone not quitting even with the health risks. I find the smell obnoxious now. I quit when the price went up along with getting breathless with exercise.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 06:41 AM

I loathe the smell of smoking and smokers but would defend their right to do it - providing:-

They do not do it in my home, in restaurants, trains, buses, planes etc.,

If I see a group of them outside a pub - I cross the road rather than walk through them - their choice to smoke, mine to avoid them.

I think it would be wrong to ban them from smoking outside - perhaps pubs could be prevailed upon to provide shelter in their gardens/yards for smokers?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Or ... you were not allowed to eat in certain places
Walking through the city centre in the early morning - ankle deep in MacDonald's debris, sandwich packets, sweet wrappers, paper bags, empty pop bottles, cardboard coffee cups, discarded chewing gum etc., that seems like a good idea, Solo !!
Marion
Norfolk
Marion is female  Marion has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 09:00 AM

I gave up smoking about 6 months ago.
My reason wasn't my health, it was because I couldn't afford to keep on, I was even buying less food so I could afford to smoke.
So one day I went to out Pharmacy and asked if they could help me. I didn't even have to go to the doctors. I used to go once a week to see a lady that worked in the pharmacy, I tried different things to help me. I went to her for 10 weeks then I just felt I could cope alone.

And I have coped alone, though saying that there have been times when I have felt like one, but its never been when I have smelt someone else smoking, its just when I have been feeling a bit low.

But its lovely now to be able to go shopping, afford proper food and also buy myself some new clothes.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 09:54 AM

I smoked for 38yrs and stopped 9yrs ago were i just decided one evening and put my last cig out for good and never attempted to light another one up since, this was just before the new law came in.
When they changed the laws it was difficult for the smokers, as i saw it first hand with my friend and her husband, he smoked and she didn't, he went outside the pub while she sat in. Sometimes i would go outside with my friends who smoked and stood aside from them..
Years ago when i was younger the upstairs smoking on buses ban came into force which was annoying on long journeys, same as the no smoking on aeroplanes. I never did long haul flights it would have me pulling my hair out!
The only annoyance i have today is at our local pubs you find a lot of the younger ones stood at the doorway smoking and making it difficult for people to get in and out?
But now oh dear were are people suppose to smoke, this is stupid i'm not surprised the pubs are shutting down everywhere..

Page 3 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top